Coconut Doughnuts

Sunday 16 March 2014


 photo SAM_3651_zps8fd9c044.jpg


Usually on the weekends I like to make us a little bit of an indulgent treat to have with out cuppa's at tea break, or as a quick dessert after supper with some ice cream.   Little delights such as these baked doughnuts fit the bill perfectly, without going too far over the top as far as calories and indulgence goes.

 photo SAM_3652_zpsebc04e37.jpg


These are baked instead of fried, but that doesn't mean they can't be every bit as exciting as a traditional fried doughnut.  We rather like our doughnuts baked in this house . . .  tis true!

 photo SAM_3653_zpsc35b3e66.jpg


These little indulgences are as light as air and chock full of coconut flavour, from both the use of coconut milk in the batter along with dessicated coconut.  I also like to use coconut oil instead of regular butter, for an additional burst of coconut, and it's really quite good for you, don't you know?

 photo SAM_3654_zpsa31c74b5.jpg

I bought myself two six hole doughnut pans, because most recipes make 12 anyways, and it saves me from having to stop and wash a pan and re-butter it to make the second six doughnuts!  It's worth the expense to me, as I am rather lazy.  It will pay for itself over time.

 photo SAM_3655_zps25487e66.jpg


The finished light little puffs are dipped in melted seedless raspberry jam and then rolled in dessicated coconut for a really tasty coconut finish. I recommend Hungry Jack's Organic Dessicated coconut myself.  It's what I use and I like it.  You will love these doughnuts.  I guarantee!

 photo SAM_3663_zpsf8e7b78f.jpg



*Coconut Doughnuts*
Makes 12  
These are light as air and covered with delicious jam and coconut.  You can toast the coconut if you wish to give them a nuttier flavour.

175g of self raising flour (1 1/4 cups)
1 tsp baking powder
115g of caster sugar (6 1/1 TBS)
 pinch salt
150ml coconut milk (5 fluid ounces)
1 large free range egg, beaten
25g butter, melted (2 TBS) (I use coconut oil)
100g dessicated coconut (1 1/3 cup) divided
5 TBS seedless raspberry jam, warmed through  

 photo SAM_3658_zps117d635c.jpg  

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Butter two six hole doughnut tins really well, or spray well with baking spray.  (Don't skimp on greasing these.   They will stick if you do)

Sift the flour and baking powder together into a bowl.  Whisk in the castor sugar and salt.   Whisk the coconut milk, egg, and butter together.  Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet all at once.  Mix until smooth and then stir in 1/4 of the coconut.  Spoon into the prepared doughnut pans.  (I find each receptacle takes about 3 spoons of batter)  Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until risen and golden brown.   Turn out onto a wire rk and allow to cool.

Sprinkle the remainder of the coconut onto a large flat plate.   Dip the cooled doughnuts into the warm jam and then roll them in the coconut to coat.  Allow to set before serving.  Store in an airtight container.  These are best eaten on the day.

 photo SAM_3665_zps11d13991.jpg

5 comments

  1. I have to say that these doughnuts are really great. Well done! I love doughnuts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Rosvitha! They are one of my weaknesses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marie,

    I really want to make this, but I don't have the doughnut pan and I don't really want to have to go and buy some just for one recipe (we have a tiny kitchen and hardly any storage space!) so I was wondering if this would work as a traybake rather than individual doughnuts? I was thinking I could then spread the jam and coconut over the top and cut it into squares...do you think the mix would work that way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ellie, you could, (I would use a 9 inch square or round. Or you could bake them as muffins! Just dip the tops in the jam and coconut. Either would work well. YOu will need more time to bake if you do a cake/traybake. I would lower the temperature to 180 and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Let me know how you get on! I know all about small kitchens. Most of my bakeware is kept in a shed in the garden. A bit of a pain, but there is absolutely no room for even my pots and pans in my kitchen. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for your reply, Marie! I'll let you know how it works out :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!