Persian Cucumber Salad

Wednesday 27 April 2016

 photo DSCN6448_zpsm4pdoftd.jpg

This is a fresh and simple salad that you will find yourself using a lot over these next few months.  I know it feels a bit like Winter here this week, but it won't be too long before temperatures will be soaring and you will be popping out the grills and BBQ season will be upon us!

 photo DSCN6449_zps6nns1pr8.jpg

I made this salad the other night for the Sister Missionaries to have with their Turkey Burgers and it went down a real treat.  They really enjoyed it.  I did too!

 photo DSCN6450_zpseqtr0i2n.jpg

It was really simple to make and uses only a few ingredients  . . .  cucumbers . . . Long English ones, lightly pared, you will want a bit of the green still there for show . . .  cherry tomatoes . . .  I used Italian baby plums, quartered, chopped red onions, salt, pepper and mint . . .  with only a bit of olive oil and some lemon juice.

 photo DSCN6451_zpsnrewhlpo.jpg


I always leave my tomatoes on the kitchen counter.  They are not really ripe when you pick them up at the shops.  Leaving them on the counter helps them to ripen a bit more and bring their flavours out to the best you can get with off-season tomatoes.

 photo DSCN6453_zpstgfgq12u.jpg

This was simple, healthy and delicious.  I can only imagine at the moment how very tasty it will be once tomatoes and cucumbers are in season.  I can't wait!

  photo DSCN6452_zpswpc2ieyz.jpg

*Persian Cucumber Salad*
Nakes 4 servings
Made this the other night for the missionary sisters.  We had it with turkey burgers.  It was really good.  Simple and fresh.  I realized afterwards that I had forgotten the cheese on top.  It's really good! 

450g chopped English Cucumber (2 1/2 cups)
300g quarterd cherry tomatoes (1 1/2 cups)
1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 tsp finely chopped fresh mint
the juice of one lemon (about 2 1/2 TBS)
1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
 4 TBS crumbled feta cheese to sprinkle over top (optional)


 photo DSCN6454_zps97m4mhhz.jpg

Combine everything but the cheese in a bowl.  Toss to combine.  Cover and chill for at least an hour prior to serving.  Sprinkle the cheese on top when you are ready to serve. (if using)

 photo DSCN6455_zpsybw2ktmw.jpg

Fresh and Tasty!  Bon Appetit!

6 comments

  1. We also have a burst of winter here (I awoke this morning to a blizzard!) but even so I love a salad with meals as they are so fresh, bright and cheerful. Funnily enough I made a similar salad to accompany your Turkey Burgers (mine were chicken, though with garlic butter). I didn't have mint, but used oregano instead and a handful of kalamata olives. I must try this if and when the poor mint finally makes an appearance in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, nice Marie! How were they? Salads are the best "go-withs" for meals, especially burgers. I love them! xo

      Delete
    2. The burgers were fabulous - the juiciest I've eaten, because as you know lean ground chicken fillets can dry out so easily when you cook them.

      I should go back and write on the recipes as I try them, but I don't want to appear annoying. That said, I know when I look at recipes myself online, I like to read a comment of someone who has actually made it to see whether it cooks as well as it says.

      Delete
    3. And Marie, your feedback is so very important to those who come along in the future and see a recipe they might want to try but are dubious about. Your comments might help them to make up their mind, or yes, even decide that it would work with chicken also instead of turkey! I know quite often a positive comment or two is all I need to make up my mind and vice versa! xo

      Delete
  2. Crunch colorful salad! Looks so appetizing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!