Little Gems With a Blue Cheese Dressing

Tuesday 23 June 2009



One thing that I really like about these warmer months is salad. I just love salad. I could eat it for every meal . . . yes, even breakfast.

One of my favourite lettuces is Little Gem lettuce. It has a really gutsy flavour and a wonderfully crisp texture. I think it is a variety of miniature Romaine lettuce, but with leaves that are a bit more tender, and flavourful. It is perfect served with a strong flavoured dressing, and is even delicious braised.

This is one of my favourite ways to serve it . . . I could eat a whole plate of this and nothing else and be perfectly happy doing so.




*Little Gems With a Blue Cheese Dressing*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

This is one of my favourite salads. Simple ingredients, complex flavours. It all adds up to a truly delicious salad. Just perfect for these warmer days.

2 TBS cider vinegar
2 TBS heavy cream
3 1/2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
2 ounces blue cheese
(I like to use either Cashel Blue or Stilton)
2 fat little gem lettuces
2 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
1 TBS sugar
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste



Whisk the vinegar and cream together with a little seasoning. Whisk in the sugar until it dissolves. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Fold in the cheese.

Wash the lettuces and dry them really well. Cut the lettuces into wedges lengthwise and fan them out on 4 chilled salad plates. Drizzle over the dressing, dividing it equally amongst the salads. Sprinkle evenly with the spring onions.

Note - I sometimes like to add some chopped radish, especially when I have fresh ones from my garden like right now.

4 comments

  1. Oooh I saw cheese mentioned! I LOVE cheese and that dressing looks really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cheese too, but the girl has expensive tastes! My favourite blue cheese is Roquefort but Stilton is lovely in a dressing because it has a more pronounced flavour. I can't win: if I buy Roquefort I will pig the lot and blow the expense, if I buy stilton Keith will pig it down and bye bye dressing!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this beautiful, simple but very tasty salad...anything with Little Gem and blue cheese is a winner with me--LOL! Happy Day, sweet friend! :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I better watch out - I think Keith can read minds! He came back from Asda this morning with 2 Little Gems and a small bit of stilton and they were not on the list. Well, what can I do - we'll just have to have this salad with a jacket spud on the side for lunch tomorrow.
    :) Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!