Lemon Roasted Cod with Edamame Mash

Friday 11 September 2009



Sometimes I like to eat healthy . . . well . . . a lot of the time I try to eat healthy. I just love fish, especially cod and haddock. I am not that "in" to Mackeral or other strong oily fishes, although I do enjoy salmon from time to time.

In my family, we always ordered English fish and chips whenever we went out to eat. There was never any question. We only ever very rarely went out to eat, and when we did we really fancied a treat. Fish and chips fit the bill perfectly.




I am afraid that I still order fish and chips most of the time when I eat out, coz . . . well, you just can't teach an old dog new tricks I happen to really like them. The best chips I have had over here were in Liverpool . . . crisp, fresh, wrapped in paper from a chippy in the down town area and liberally doused in salt and malt vinegar. The best fish has been from a fish and chip shop on the Blacon parade of shops in Chester.

I digress however . . . fish and chips are not healthy, and the fish that I cooked for us today was.

Moist, flaky, and lemony.

And good for you.




Served on a tasty bed of edamame mash and garnished with some tasty roasted tomatoes and torn basil leaves, this went down a real treat.



*Lemon Roasted Cod with Edamame Mash*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

This is lovely. Tender flakey and milk cod sitting on a bed of tasty basil flavoured edamame mash. Tomatoes and Cod are perfect partners.

4 small bunches of cherry tomatoes on the vine
2 TBS lemon olive oil
4 chunky cod fillets
the zest of one lemon, plus the juice of one lemon
1- 480g pack of frozen edamame beans
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and cut into chunks
1 bunch of basil, the leaves and stalks separated
200ml of hot vegetable or chicken stock



Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F. Lightly grease a baking tray. Place the tomatoes on the tray, rub with a bit of oil and then season lightly with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Roast for 5 minutes, or until the skins begin to split. Add the fish to the baking dish and top with the lemon zest. Season with some more salt and pepper and then drizzle with a bit more of the oil. Roast for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily with the tines of a fork.

While the fish is cooking, cook the beans in a pot of slightly salted boiling water. Cook for 3 minutes or so, until just barely tender. Drain well. Place into a food processor along with the basil stalks, lemon juice, the remaining lemon oil, the garlic and the stock. Pulse to mash into a thick coarse puree. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.

Divide the bean mash between 4 hot serving plates. Top each with a filet of fish and divide the tomatoes equally amongst the plates. Scatter the basil leaves, torn, over top and serve.

14 comments

  1. You know what I'm going to ask don't you? What are edamame beans, where can I get them or what c\n I use instead?

    The only thing I hate about fish is the smell it leaves behind in the house. I cooked cod last night but this morning........I just hope my new next door neighbour doesn't turn up on the doorstep!

    The mash sounds full of possibilities though.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be my dinner some time very soon! I hadn't thought of edamame mash.

    I hate the smell of fish in the house too, but found that a plug-in air freshener for smokers (it came from my mum's house, not mine!) used for half an hour works wonders. Any longer and the smell of the air freshener gets to you even more than that of the fish...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edamame mash...love that! This is a lovely way to dress up cod, Marie...I can't wait to try this! Happy weekend, sweet friend--LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photography and super blog! FOLLOWED!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice presentation and nice food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is wonderful just made edamame for the first time now I have another recipe so cool, I write a blog for an Alaskan Seafood company could this recipe be featured?

    rebeccasubbiah at yahoo dot com

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie, I thought from the picture that it was avocado instead of edamame! Avocado sounds pretty good with fish! Then again, avocado sounds pretty good with anything, in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marie! Found you through Angie as she shared your journey. I am on the same one and started a blog called the "30 Day Throw Down" if you care to drop by. It's brand new so can be a bit of a problem to find but you can always link through my main blog, Robynn's Ravings.

    Your recipe looks delicious - I'm a HUGE fish lover - may speak more of my body than my preferences - and I appreciate any and all fish recipes. Also, with British roots, our favorite pie in this household is Mince. But I'm afraid it's the American version which most Americans STILL detest! Why, I have no idea. Do you have a good Mince Meat Pie recipe you would care to share as the Holidays approach? THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. dear Marie
    Thanks will link back to you love the blog, keep up the good work, pleased you like my homeland lol

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi There---it looks so delicious BUT the beans where do I get then----and do they have another name----as Im in Australia Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi anonymous. Edamame is also known as soy beans, and you should be able to buy them in the frozen vegetable section of your shops. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am confused about what to do with the garlic here... for roasting with the tomatoes? In the mash?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well spotted Anonymous!! Yes, the garlic goes into the food processor with the beans and herbs. If you are afraid that it will be too strong or harsh (as garlic can sometimes be) add it to the slightly boiling salted water with the edamame.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!