Bacon Cheese Toasties

Monday 19 October 2009



Most Sundays, by the time we get home from church I just don't have the energy to make a big meal for the two of us. It's generally been a long day and we're both tired. (One of the benefits of having a husband on the Bishopric and only having one car!)

Some weeks I get my act together, and manage to throw something into the slow cooker before we leave . . . most weeks, I forget until it's too late, and Todd is standing at the door with his briefcase and wanting me to get out to the car . . . like five minutes ago!

. . . sigh



Those are beans on toast days, or soup and rolls . . . and yes, I confess, sometimes we even have tinned spaghetti on toast. I know . . . I'm depraved, but I do like it from time to time . . .



When I was a girl we used to love it when my mom made bacon and cheese toasties. Bacon and cheese are so very tasty together. My mom always used kraft cheese singles slices and streaky bacon and the cheese would kind of burn a bit in the corners and it tasted rather yummy! I love, Love, LOVED the brown bits!!

Oh . . . and the bacon, of course!!



I have grown up now, and prefer mine with a good cheddar these days.

I also like to add a bit of spring onion and mayonnaise. I mean . . . in for a penny, in for a pound, right?



It goes without saying . . . you want a good quality of streaky bacon.



Quick . . . easy . . . and moreishly tasty. Yumm!! Yumm!!



*Bacon Cheese Toasties*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

Bacon . . . cheese . . . toast . . . need I say more???

12 slices of streaky bacon
12 ounces of shredded strong cheddar cheese
3 spring onions, finely chopped
2 dessert spoons of mayonnaise
(I use Hellman's)
1 healthy pinch of cayenne pepper
12 slices of good quality white bread

Pre-heat the grill to high. Toast your slices of bread lightly on both sides. Set aside on a baking tray.

Cook your bacon until semi crisp in a medium high non stick skillet. Drain well on paper toweling.

Mix together the shredded cheese, spring onions and mayonnaise. Add cayenne pepper to your taste. Spread this mixture onto the toasted slices of bread. Cut the slices of bacon into 4 slices each. Place these on top of the cheese mixture in an attractive manner.

Toast under the grill until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the bacon is crisp. Remove from the grill and allow to sit for several minutes before cutting each toastie in half and serving to your most grateful family!

13 comments

  1. Hi Marie! So glad you dropped in on my blog at Not Entirely British.

    I've really enjoyed visiting your blog and reading the super recipes. Can't beat English Cheddar Cheese - and the bacon, of course :-) Nothing quite like it over here in the USA. Not that I've found yet, anyway.

    I'm adding your link to mine right now - and have just put your post on my Facebook page today. I'm at http://www.facebook.com/anne.bradshaw if you want to check it out.

    How did you get that little Facebook thing that lets people post from here to Facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten about these until seeing it today on Anne Bradshaw's Facebook. Brings back fond memories of my mother's cooking (she grew up in Canada). I found some extra-extra-sharp Black Diamond Cheddar in Williamsburg, VA on vacation this summer. That would be delectable in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I've found how to do the FB link thing. Had it on my site already, didn't I. Duh! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this growing up too! Great idea the spring onions:) and mayo..my mom just did the cheese and bacon:)I can still taste hers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a nice, easy meal...bus so tasty. The spring onions is a very good touch. Hubby would love this! Thank you, dear Marie--LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the added spring onions!
    I've just got home from work and I'm starving - you've made it worse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THIS LOOKS SOOOOOOOOOOO DARN GOOD !

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is it about applewood smoked bacon (...maybe it's ANY bacon...!) that is sooo irresistible? I think this is Sunday dinner next week. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sold! Save me a plate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM. This is definitely my kind of comfort food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had soup and a toastie for dinner this evening - I like that on a Sunday night, especially in autumn as it starts to get cold.

    I wanted to try this as it is a classy kind of toasted sandwich. I like the added idea of the spring onion and agree that good quality cheddar and bacon will guarantee a better sandwich. Having the mayo was also a great idea, as it made it into something you could spread which made it so easy to do.

    Quick, easy and delicious. We had seconds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These bacon toasties are incredibly moreish Marie. I am so pleased you made this version. I was sitting here thinking about what I could make for my tea tonight and I think I am well overdue a bacon toastie, don't you? I might even have seconds. Naughty. xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!