Chicken Breasts & Roasted Vegetables

Friday 7 May 2010


Chicken Breasts & Roasted Vegetables


I found myself with some chicken breasts and a few vegetables that needed using up today and so I was racking my brains trying to think of something that I could do with them.


I was wanting a simple supper and yet healthy at the same time. I can be rather lazy at times. I don't always want to spend hours in the kitchen, and I am sure you often feel the same way!



Chicken Breasts & Roasted Vegetables



Besides some carrots, parsnips and new potatoes, I also had leeks and some beautiful Asparagus.
Oh, how I love fresh Asparagus in the springtime.   We are not quite there yet in Canada, but another month or so should bring our fresh asparagus into season.

I got rather spoiled living in the UK. Britain raises some of the tastiest and best Asparagus in the world, and that's no lie!!


Chicken Breasts & Roasted Vegetables






I used to wait all year for Asparagus season. Generally it ran  from about the end of April to the latter part of June. Not long enough!! But well worth the wait. 



I love asparagus.   Crisp, delicious, fat free and full of fiber and folic acid, it’s great for the heart, boosts your immune system and cancer defense's, great for skin, nails and hair! It's also very versatile.


I found 8 fun facts about asparagus that you might enjoy reading.  You can find them here


Chicken Breasts & Roasted Vegetables



Because it grows in sandy soil, Asparagus needs to be well washed.  That might put some people off, but that's no chore to me.  I don't mind at all. 

 Once washed, I always like to trim off those pointy side shoot thingies. They can sometimes be a bit bitter. I just take a sharp knife and pull them off.


Then I snap off the bottom woody bits, and discard them.  Its easy to do. Just grab the asparagus and gently bend it by holding it in your two hands. It will usually snap off right where it needs to. 

Once that is done, I am ready to rock!


Chicken Breasts & Roasted Vegetables






Steamed, it is delicious served with hollandaise sauce, of if that intimidates you, try a simple mixture of melted butter and lemon juice. 


 My favourite way to eat it is roasted. I toss it with some olive oil, salt and pepper and roast it for about 11 minutes in a hot oven. Once out, I drizzle it with some white balsamic and a dusting of Parmesan cheese. 


 Oh my but it is some good. You can also try rolling it in mayonnaise and parmesan and roasting in a hot oven. Deeeeeeelicious!!!


Chicken Breasts & Roasted Vegetables





Today I roasted it with a simple mix of vegetables and some chicken. I planned on serving it with a creamy chive sauce.  Oh my, my tastes buds were tingling just at the thought.



The root vegetables were par boiled and then tossed together with the asparagus, some herbs and a bit of olive oil. I then topped with the Chicken breasts and roasted for a short time.


Everything came out beautifully done. The sauce is simple to do and quite tasty. So don't skip it!




Chicken Breasts & Roasted Vegetables 






WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE CHICKEN BREASTS & ROASTED VEGETABLES

Simple ordinary fresh ingredients.

  • 1 pound (400g) of baby new potatoes, scrubbed clean and sliced about 1/2 inch thick (no need to peel)
  • 3 carrots peeled and cut into batons
  • 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced into 1 inch thick slices
  • 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into batons
  • 1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed
  • 2 TBS light olive oil
  • 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • onion powder, garlic, salt, pepper and paprika to season
For the Sauce:
  • 1 cup (120g) of cream fraiche
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) of single cream
  • 1 large bunch of chives, snipped
  • 2 TBS Dijon mustard


Chicken Breasts & Roasted Vegetables

 




HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN BREASTS & ROASTED VEGETABLES

Nothing could be easier! 



Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/gas mark6.


Place the potatoes, carrots, leeks and parsnips into a pot of lightly salted boiling water to cover. Parboil for 5 to 6 minutes. Drain well.


Place the 2 TBS of oil into a large roasting tin. Place in the oven to heat up the oil. Once the oil is hot, toss in the parboiled vegetables and the asparagus tips. coating them well with the oil.


Lay the chicken on top and season all well with the onion powder, garlic, salt, pepper and paprika.


Roast for about 25 minutes until thoroughly cooked and beginning to brown. The chicken juices run clear and the internal temperature should be 165*F/74*C.


Heat the crème fraiche, mustard, cream and chives in a small pan over medium low heat for several minutes until heated through.


Serve the chicken with the roasted vegetables with the sauce spooned over top.



Chicken Breasts & Roasted Vegetables 






This was really delicious.  Very simple to make and quite spring like with the fresh vegetables.  Something light and refreshing after all the heavy food we have been eating over the winter months.



Got chicken breasts?  You may also be interested in these other recipes! 


CRISPY CHICKEN BREASTS WITH A HONEY GARLIC SAUCE - A tasty alternative to what you might find  in your local Chinese takeaway.  Healthier  too. Crispy chicken with a fabulously delicious sauce. Simple to make as well.


PAN ROASTED CHICKEN BREASTS WITH THYME - Skin on chicken breasts are roasted and basted with a lush thyme butter sauce while they are cooking.  Delicious tender and moist when done, these are quite simply beautiful. 




Yield: 4
Author: Marie Rayner
Chicken Breasts with Roasted Vegetables

Chicken Breasts with Roasted Vegetables

Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 40 MinTotal time: 55 Min
Roasted potatoes, carrots, parsnips, leeks and asparagus, with tender pieces of chicken breast roasted on top, and accompanied with a delicious crème fraiche, mustard and chive sauce. Simple and delicious, and easy too!

Ingredients

  • 1 pound (400g) of baby new potatoes, scrubbed clean and sliced about 1/2 inch thick (no need to peel)
  • 3 carrots peeled and cut into batons
  • 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced into 1 inch thick slices
  • 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into batons
  • 1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed
  • 2 TBS light olive oil
  • 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • onion powder, garlic, salt, pepper and paprika to season
For the Sauce:
  • 1 cup (120g) of cream fraiche
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) of single cream
  • 1 large bunch of chives, snipped
  • 2 TBS Dijon mustard

Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/gas mark6.
  2. Place the potatoes, carrots, leeks and parsnips into a pot of lightly salted boiling water to cover. Parboil for 5 to 6 minutes. Drain well.
  3. Place the 2 TBS of oil into a large roasting tin. Place in the oven to heat up the oil. Once the oil is hot, toss in the parboiled vegetables and the asparagus tips. coating them well with the oil.
  4. Lay the chicken on top and season all well with the onion powder, garlic, salt, pepper and paprika.
  5. Roast for about 25 minutes until thoroughly cooked and beginning to brown. The chicken juices run clear and the internal temperature should be 165*F/74*C.
  6. Heat the crème fraiche, mustard, cream and chives in a small pan over medium low heat for several minutes until heated through.
  7. Serve the chicken with the roasted vegetables with the sauce spooned over top.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @marierayner5530 on instagram and hashtag it # marierayner5530
Chicken Breasts & Roasted Vegetables






This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan@aol.com 



 Thanks so much for visiting! Do come again! 



12 comments

  1. Marie, this looks so good! This time of year, I grill or roast veggies almost every day. Must try that chive sauce!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I could eat that right now! Love the chive sauce too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious... I wish it was autumn here in SA, rather than autumn. Will try and work that chive sauce into something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a very beautiful and elegant meal, Marie. I see doing this with fish too. Lovely... :o) Happy Weekend, sweet friend--LOVE YOU ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, my mouth is absolutely watering, definitely off to buy asparagus for tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marie! This does look delicious, as usual. Maybe I'll add this to my Mother's Day table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous looking dish, Marie! Creamy Chive Sauce....yummmmmmm! Your photos always make everything look so delicious!

    Hope you're having a beautiful day--my 22nd Anniversary today! Talk to you later--many hugs sent your way today, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious. I had never really considered roasting asparagus before, not sure why now. I'll be sure to give it a go. I like the sound of that sauce too, creamy, piquant with just the right mount of underlying pungency. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marie this sounds absolutely delicious how all you make my dear! I love veggies! Have a nice weekend and take care you and Todd, huggs Love ya! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's really and truly not fair how fat away you live. I'd love to visit your kitchen and cook with you, we have such similar tastes. This looks marvelous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! That was supposed to say how FAR away you live :-P

    ReplyDelete
  12. We just had dinner at a friend's house and she served this recipe. I absolutely loved it! I can't wait to make this myself, and I'll be sure to check out your other recipes as well! So yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!