Christmas Stollen

Sunday 14 November 2010

Christmas Stollen 


Christmas Stollen.  What would Christmas be without a cheeky Stollen or two in the larder. 



I don't want all of you purists out there saying that Stollen doesn't belong in an English Kitchen . If the shops are anything to go by at this time of year, Stollen is definitely an English Christmas tradition, even if it is a German recipe. The supermarket shelves are filled with them!



Christmas Stollen 


There's almost as many stollen on the shelves as there are mince pies! And not just full sized stollen either, scrummy stollen slices and little stollen bites.



These stollen bites are  a real  weakness of mine  . . .  I just adore them.  All buttery and fruity and moreishly yummy. I bet I go through a couple of boxes of them at Christmas all by myself!


Christmas Stollen 

I haven't quite taken to the full sized loaves though . . . they always seem a bit dry and dull.  I don't see the appeal to be honest.   They always disappoint.


That's why I always go for the bites or slices. They are definitely a moister, more delicious mouthful.



Christmas Stollen 

Up until recently, I had never tasted anything other than a store bought Stollen and like I said, I was not totally impressed. 



This year, however, since the arrival of the new bread machine, I thought I would try to make one from scratch.


Christmas Stollen
 



If I used the dough cycle of my bread machine, how really difficult could it be???  Pretty hard to mess up.  I had to give it a go!



Christmas Stollen 

It ended up being not difficult at all! It was really quite easy, and you get the bonus of an extra loaf to give away to a beloved friend.  I can't think of anyone that would turn that down!



Christmas Stollen 
This was so good we've already eaten the first one all up!  I think it is time to make another couple of loaves!! Yummo!!



Christmas Stollen 

I wonder how long the next one will last. This one didn't even make it through the week waiting period . . . sigh . . . 


I know . . . ME<====CoMpLeTeLy InCoRrIgIbLe!! ahem . . . and a bit of a pig . . . but shhh . . . don't tell anyone! ☺


Some other Christmas bakes that you might enjoy from my English Kitchen are:


Christmas Dainties





CHRISTMAS DAINTIES Back in the day (and I am dating myself here), long about this time of year various ladies' groups would put on teas.  They were a great way of the organization earning funds for their charities.  Members of the organization would be asked to donate a pan of squares or sweets. These trays of sweets were called Dainties.



Cherry Cake Squares



CHERRY CAKE SQUARESThese are a blondie type of a bar with a pretty basic batter.  Dense and chewy, and filled with lots of candied cherries. Topped with a rich buttercream frosting and halved candied cherries, they look really pretty on a tray. They are delicious! Everyone's favorites!




Yield: 2 loaves
Author: Marie Rayner
Christmas Stollen

Christmas Stollen

Prep time: 1 H & 30 MCook time: 45 MinTotal time: 2 H & 15 M
One delicious loaf to keep and one to give away. I had never eaten anything other than store bought stollen up until this year. I'll never buy it again. There is just no comparison! Done in the dough cycle of the bread machine for ease.

Ingredients

For the dough:
  • 7g packet of easybake yeast
  • 1 pound 2 ounces of strong white bread flour (4 1/2 cups)
  • 3 ounces golden caster sugar (scant 1/2 cup)
  • 1 tsp fine sea salt
  • 5 1/2 ounces unsalted butter, cut into small bits (2/3 cup)
  • 150ml of milk (approx. 2/3 cup)
  • 2 large free range eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Fruit and Nut Mixture:
  • 5 ounces raisins (1 cup)
  • 4 ounces currants (2/3 cup)
  • 4 ounces chopped mixed peel (2/3 cup)
  • 4 ounces chopped, blanched almonds (1 cup)
  • finely grated zest of 1 lemon
  • finely grated zest of 1 orange
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon or cardamom
  • 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
  • 2 TBS rum (Optional, can use fruit juice)
You will also need:
  • 250g (1/2 pound) marzipan
  • 5 ounces unsalted butter melted (scant 2/3 cup)
  • icing sugar to dust

Instructions

  1. Put all the dough ingredients into your bread maker according to the directions for the bread maker. Select the white dough setting and press start.
  2. Meanwhile combine the fruit and nut mixture in a bowl and leave to stand while the dough works.
  3. Once the dough cycle has finished, turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly, knocking out the air until smooth. Roll out until about an inch thick.
  4. Spread the fruit and nut mixture over top, roll up and then knead until well incorporated. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and roll each out to an oval about 1 inch thick and place each on a separate, buttered, baking sheet.
  5. Using the side of your hand make an indentation down the middle of each oval.
  6. Roll the marzipan into two long sausage shapes. Lay one roll down the length of each oval slightly off to one side. Fold the dough over top to cover (lengthwise) so that the top layer doesn't quite meet the side of the bottom layer.
  7. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise in a warm room for about 30 minutes. It does not need to double in size.
  8. Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Remove the tea towels and then bake the stollen for 45 minutes in the heated oven until cooked through.
  9. Remove from the oven to a wire rack to cool. Brush all over with the melted butter until it is all used up. Dust generously with some icing sugar.
  10. Allow to cool completely, and then dust generously with icing sugar again. Store tightly covered for one week before serving.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @marierayner5530 on instagram and hashtag it #TheEnglishKitchen
Christmas Stollen




This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan@aol.com


Thanks so much for visiting! Do come again!


21 comments

  1. I buy stollen every year and was so excited to see this recipe! I live in US so some of the ingredients I'm not familiar with. What are: easybake yeast, golden caster sugar, strong white bread flour and mixed peel? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already have three Weihnachtsstollen in my pantry. Two Marzipan, one Ginger. We love them. Need to bake a Quarkstollen pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi April, easybake yeast is yeast that you can use successfully in the Breadmaker. Golden caster sugar is a type of caster sugar that is less refined so it is a little golden in colour. There is only a slight difference in taste so you can use regular sugar with no marked difference if you can't get the golden. Strong white bread flour is just that, Bread flour, flour that you buy specifically to make bread with. Mixed Peel is a mixture of glace citrus peels, or candied peel as I think it is called in America. I usually buy mine whole and then chop them myself, but you can buy them already mixed and chopped. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enno says he'd like to make this since his mother did so we will try it. We can get the candied fruit here in Holland. Wish I had your bread maker! xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastico este pastel, me encanta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol - you make me laugh. Looks fantastic. I love My Kitchen In The Rockies suggestion of ginger too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh, Kitchen in the Rockies, your variations sound fabulous, especially the ginger one! I think I've become a break making monster after having been given this new machine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say anything as delicious as your stollen belongs in anyone's kitchen, including an American one. This would be a delightful breakfast to have on Christmas morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stollen (and now Kringle since DD lives in Minnesota) is a Christmas morning tradition of ours -- but alas, I always buy mine although I'm sure my German grandmother made hers. Perhaps I should try this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew that machine would not be lost on you..Lovely..enjoy Sunday..

    ReplyDelete
  11. What could be more seasonal? Come link to Seasonal Sundays!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  12. O my, that Stollen looks SO delicious! I want some...I guess I know what I'm making this Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love stollen. My mom made up to a dozen loaves a year at Christmas to put in her Christmas Bread gifts.

    I have never had it with marzipan. Plus, I really like the idea of having my bread machine help make it. I am going to have to rethink my baking plans this year.

    I really enjoyed your blog. I am glad I found it.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Homemade stollen... that is a great idea, I've not had anything but store-bought either! Seeing your stollen here inspires! Pity I don't have a bread machine. ;o) Oh, this looks so good. I'm not a big fan of marzipan, but I like that little ribbon of it in a slice of stollen...mmm... Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous, I did need to add a couple of ounces more of flour, and I hate currants so substituted sultanas and almonds, still fabulous. This recipe is now in my repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you enjoyed the recipe Nearlythere!

      Delete
  16. I’ve just finished baking the stollen. I’m a bit confused by the photo of the cut stollen. The marzipan couldn’t possibly swirl around like that if I’ve followed instruction and placed a sausage of marzipan down the length of the dough. How did you make it swirl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing recipe, if you want swirl make the marzipan sausage and roll it flat. Place in on the rolled mixture then fold. Just putting some in the oven now, always make a few! X

      Delete
  17. Why does your photo of the cut stollen show a swirl of marzipan? I followed method and put a sausage down the length of the dough. It won’t swirl. How did you make it happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure what you mean? I just did what the instructions in the recipe say. It never turns out the same two times in a row, but it is always delicious! Happy Christmas!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!