Maple Pumpkin Pie

Wednesday 24 November 2010



It seems kind of funny this year that I will not be cooking a Thanksgiving Feast for a bazillion other people to eat. For the past 7 years I worked as a private Chef for an American family here in the UK, and as you can imagine, Thanksgiving Dinner was one of the highlights of the year!



I spent days and days every year just getting ready for it . . . there would be the turkey to order from the butcher's and sometimes two . . . the purchasing of all the vegetables and fixings . . . the baking of pies and cakes.



It was a very festive time and quite exciting . . . even if it was a lot of work. It was quite satisfying to see the dinner guests enjoying the fruits of my labours . . . the many hours on my feet executing and delivering the perfect bountiful feast . . .



But this year . . . there is none of that. I get to relax . . . put my feet up . . . watch some telly . . . and think about the many things that I am thankful for . . . like a loving husband and a cute lil pup . . .



Family and friends . . . the blessing of living in a country where I am free and safe to live and worship as I wish to do so . . . and for tasty foods like pumpkin pie. When I was a kid I hated pumpkin pie . . . or at least I thought I did . . .



But then again . . . I never had this one. I think I would have loved it had I done . . .
This is fabulously delicious . . . all autumnal and gently flavoured with spices and sweet maple . . .
in a crisp buttery crust and topped with maple sweetened whipped cream . . .



Now this . . . this is a pie to be thankful for!


*Maple Pumpkin Pie*
Makes one 9 inch pie
Printable Recipe

A delicious pumpkin pie with true Maple Flavour. I like to garnish with some pastry leaves that I cut out with cookie cutters and shape over little balls of foil to look like they are falling. You can use purchases shortcrust pastry if you wish, but the crust for this is quite simple and easy to make.

Pastry:
5 1/2 ounces of plain flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
1/2 tspsalt
5 TBS cold vegetable shortening (such as Trex, or Crisco) cut into small bits
2 ounces cold unsalted butter, cut into bits (1/4 cup)
4 to 5 TBS ice water

For the filling:
1 tin (15 ounces) plain pumpkin puree
(or make your own)
3 1/2 ounces granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
2 ounces soft light brown sugar (1/4 cup, packed)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp fine seasalt
10 fluid ounces single cream (1 1/4 cups half and half)
2 fluid ounces maple syrup (1/4 cup)
2 large free range eggs, beaten
1/4 tsp Maple Extract (if you can't get this use Vanilla)

Maple Cream:
250ml double cream (1 cup)
2 fluid ounces maple syrup (1/4 cup)

First make the pastry. Whisk the flour and salt together in a bowl. Drop in the cold shortening and butter. Rub in with your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly, leaving some pieces of fat pea sized. Chill for half an hour. Drizzle the cold water over the mixture, 1 TBS at a time, mixing in until the flour is moistened and the pastry clears the side of the bowl. Shape into a disk, wrap in clingfilm and chill for an hour.

At the end of the hour, remove from the fridge and allow to soften at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Roll out on a floured board to a circle large enough to line a 9 inch deep pie dish, with some overhang for trimming. Transfer to the pie dish and ease it in. Trim off the edge and flute. Chill while you make the filling. (save scraps to make leaves if desired.)

Whisk the pumpkin puree, white and brown sugars, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt together in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat, cookiing and stirring, until the pumpkin mixture is thick and hot. Remove from the hob and whisk in the cream and the maple syrup. Whisk in the eggs until blended and then add the flavouring.

Preheat oven to 190*C/375*F gas mark 5.

Put the prepared pie shell on a baking tray. Pour in the filling. Bake in the lower third of the oven until the fillingis puffed and a metal knife inserted near the centre comes out clean. (I would check it at 45 minutes) Remove from the oven to a wire rack to cool for at least one hour.

TO make the pastry leaves (if using) roll out the pastry and cut into leaves, using a knife to make the lines in the leaves. Use small wads of foil to drap the leaves over to simulate falling leaves. Bake for 15 minutes in the upper third of the oven. Let cool.

To make the Maple cream, whip the double cream until it forms soft folds. Continue to whip a bit longer, drizzling in the maple syrup until the cream is softly to moderately whipped.

Garnish the top of the cooled pie with the pastry leaves and serve, cut into wedges, along with the Maple cream to dollop on top. Best eaten on the day. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.

17 comments

  1. I can just tell this is a perfect pumpkin pie. Look at that pastry! That your pastry will melt on my tongue. And what a beautiful presentation. If I had another life to live I'd live it as a cook. Like you. I often wonder what your training was and where, and what difficulties did you over come to become a chef? When I was being rushed into who I became (women didn't chose, then, at least not women of my class) it never occurred to me a woman could earn her living cooking. It was just what you did for your family. The glories belonged to men.

    Oh that pie. Makes all that such a lie. Marie is a chef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightfully delicious-looking pie, Marie! I love pumpkin pie...and adding maple syrup to it just sounds divine!

    Getting ready for our Thanksgiving feast tomorrow...baking pies, etc...I will be preparing your turkey again this year--it was amazing last year!

    Hoping you're having a wonderful day, my dear friend...much love and hugs being sent your way!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I oculd cope with making a Thanksgiving meal and then Christmas not so long after ... that would be enough to send me to the looney bin lol. Great looking pie though, I wonder if I could manage making the dessert for both??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely and I love the pastry leaves on top. Makes it look really autumnal

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks gorgeous! Like the variation on the usual theme of pumpkin pie. Gorgeous leaves as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pie is gorgeous and I know it would taste lovely too. And maple cream is the perfect topping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely pumpkin pie! (I love the leaf pastry cut-outs!) Maple sweetened whipped cream is the perfect topping, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! Happy Thanksgiving from this side of the pond!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the recipe. It looks delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marie-A gorgeous maple pumpkin pie. I love the dough leaf decorations too.
    If you would like to comment on my latest post, I'm doing a giveaway on the coffee cake book. I will ship it to you in England, if you should win it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How pretty! I made a chocolate meringue pie today! There's nothing better than pie for a holiday treat! Thanks for the recipe! HUGS, Diane ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely pie! I think maple and pumpkin marry beautifully! Enjoy your day off this year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marie I would love to stand next to you in the kitchen preparing all of your wonderful recipes. This looks wonderful and I have no doubt tastes as fantastic as it looks. I'm so happy you have this holiday off and can enjoy it with your husband and puppie. Happy Thanksgiving Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wish I'd seen that recipe yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad that I found this!
    I used this recipe to make a tart(there was filling leftover but my sister took care of that rather quickly!), which I decorated with piped chocolate leaves and homemade whipped cream. I also made a pâte sucrée crust and used vanilla extract instead of maple. Everybody loved it, including me! I think I even enjoyed it more than the apple pie I made this year!

    So thank you for the wonderful recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!