Open Mince Pies

Monday 29 November 2010



One of the things I love most about Christmas are Mince Pies! Christmas and Mince Pies go together just like peas and carrots. You just can't have one without the other.



Mince pies are another one of those things that people either love or hate . . . kinda like fruit cake. In this house we both happen to be lovers of both!



Just one bite of a well made mince pie brings to my mind a host of sugared Christmas memories . . . and even though we do go through a fair amount of shop bought mince pies every year (Aldi's are the best) I always like to put some Christmas music on the stereo and spend an afternoon making a batch of my own.



You can buy very good already prepared mincemeat in jars of course. There really are some lovely versions out there. (Marks and Spencer's come to mind!) Or you can be really industrious and make your own! It's not all that hard and is quite, quite delicious! I sometimes add chopped glace cherries and or dried cranberries to mine as well, depending on what kind of mood I am in.



Todd just can't get enough of them. (I confess . . . neither can I!!)



*Open Mince Pies*
Makes 2 to 3 dozen
Printable Recipe

These pies have a lovely flakey pastry that is made entirely in the food processor. You can use your own homemade mincemeat, or purchased. I have given the homemade recipe below. It's the best!

For the Pastry:
450g of plain flour (3 1/2 cups)
250g of unsalted butter (1.1 cups)
the finely grated zest of one lemon
150g of icing sugar, sifted (2/3 cup)
2 small free range egg yolks
milk

1 quantity of mincemeat (see recipe below)
Icing sugar for dusting

To make the pastry, place the flour and butter into a food processor. Give it a quick blitz at high speed to reduce it to a crumb like consistency. Add the lemon zest and the icing sugar and give it another quick blitz. Add the egg yolks and enough milk to bring the dough together while the motor is running. Place into a zip lock bag and allow to chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour, or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. Working with 1/2 of the pastry at a time, roll it out on a lightly floured board to 1/4 inch thickness. Using a fluted round pastry cutter, cut into rounds to fit into nonstick bun tins.. (shallow tart tins) Place in the tins and fill with a heaped teaspoon of mincemeat. Roll the trimming out and cut into star shapes or Christmas trees slightly smaller than the diameter of each pie. Place in the centre of each, on top of the mincemeat. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the pastry is a pale gold. Leave to cool before slipping out of the tins. Dust with icing sugar. Serve warm or cold. To reheat, place into a 170*C/325*F/ gas mark 3 oven for five minutes. Store in a tightly covered container. These can be quite successfully frozen.



*Homemade Mincemeat*

Makes approximately 1 pound
(enough for approximately 3 dozen mince pies)

A delicious blend of dried fruit, nuts, spices, brown sugar and brandy. (I use apple juice)

150g of currants(1 cup)
125g of raisins (3/4 cup packed)
25g of blanched almonds, finely chopped (1/3 cup)
1 knob of preserved stem ginger, finely chopped
1 eating apple, peeled and grated
50g of shredded beef or vegetable suet (1/2 cup)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
the finely grated zest and juice of one lemon
2 TBs brandy
1 TBS dark muscovado sugar

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside for at least 12 hours to macerate.

12 comments

  1. You are right....Christmas and Mincemeat go together! Your pies looks so good....yummy! Blessings, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Marie.I am so happy to see this.Mum will be making her mince tarts soon..

    ReplyDelete
  3. What cute little figurines and delicious looking pies. I've never tried a mincemeat pie before but you make them sound so good. I love how you made yours look so pretty with the stars on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Marie I love mince pies and these look absolutely nice dear Marie, I love your Christmas recipes my dear friend.
    (I have a little porblems because my Mom is a little sick, x ) Send you huggs and kisses, and I love your recipes you know, xoxoxo gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just isn't Christmas without some Mince Pies on offer. I like to bake mine this way too ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks delicious and so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie-These little mince pies are so adorable, and so yummy looking...not to mention how pretty they are, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to try making the mincemeat myself. Not sure where to buy suet though. Would lard be a substitution?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suppose you could sub lard Suzy, or Crisco, but you should freeze it first and then grate it. I think Butter would be better, but very rich.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I make a regular 9" mincemeat pie each time....I can't wait to make these...thanks for sharing! Blessings, K

    ReplyDelete
  11. These were today's baking effort, in order to be ready for Advent on Sunday. This pastry is wonderful - light, buttery and flaky. Usually I make a tasty suet-free Pear Mincemeat, but I had to use commercial fruit mince this year as I've not been well. However these still they smell fabulous and came out of the tins really easily. I may have tasted one (purely for quality control, you understand) and it melted in my mouth. Lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful! I am so pleased you were able to accidently eat one for quality control! (MUST do!) I am going to make my own mincemeat this year. And preserved ginger as well! Can't wait. Happy you enjoyed this! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!