Sour Cream Apple Squares

Monday 22 November 2010



I had some apples that I needed to use up this afternoon and I wanted to give my new cooker a trial run, so I thought I would make some delicious apple squares.



Imagine a buttery, nutty crust topped with a spicy cake batter, filled with chunks of apple and nuts, and then baked in the oven until the crust is nice and crisp and the cake all moreishly moist and fragrant.



Then imagine it cut into squares and served warm (or cold, it's up to you) and topped with some softly whipped cream.



The perfect dessert for these late autumn days and evenings . . . or your Thanksgiving Celebrations . . . of to serve to that good friend of yours that just happens to stop off for a nice cuppa after an afternoon of shopping . . .



Family friendly, friend friendly, delicious and easy, this is a winner on all counts!



*Sour Cream Apple Squares*
Makes 12 to 15
Printable Recipe

Delicious and moist apple squares, warmly spiced and served with whipped cream.

280g of plain flour (2 cups)
340g soft light brown sugar (2 cups packed)
4 ounces butter, softened (1/2 cup)
115g of toasted pecan nuts, chopped (1 cup)
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
250ml of sour cream (1 cup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large free range egg
2 medium apples, peeled and chopped (I use Granny Smith)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.

Whisk the flour, and brown sugar together in a bowl. Drop in the butter. Beat with an electric hand whisk until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the chopped nuts. Remove 370g (2 3/4 cups) of the crumbs and press into the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch glass dish. To the remainder of the crumbs add the cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, soda and salt, mixing it all together well. Beat in the egg, vanilla and sour cream. Stir in the apples. Spoon evenly over top of the crumb base.

Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Serve warm or cold, cut into squares, along with some whipped cream.

12 comments

  1. The cake looks decadent Marie. I do have some apples, but I've got something I wanted to ask so I'll get right to it.

    Have you begun working on the wedding dinner menu Marie? I know it's several months off, but these things take time, testing, trials, errors (not too many).

    We're here to offer suggestions and encouragement.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which wedding would that be Sharon? Surely not the Royal Wedding, although to be asked to prepare something for that would be a honor indeed! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I just finished a large piece of apple pie...and I still want a piece of this! It looks wonderful! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my kind of goodies! Yummy, sweet-tart and crunchy. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weddng menu? We should all write and put your name forward!

    Hey but yoo know you really ought to stop telling us we can eat these cakes cold if we want because that guarantees their rite of passage down my throat any time I want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything made with apples! Great recipe! I'll want to try this one soon! Hugs! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. The Royal Wedding. Shouldn't we explore a menu? What fun.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. And we should all have to cram by watching Upstairs Downstairs. Wasn't there an episode where King Edward came for dins? Or am I thinking of Duchess of Duke Street. Well, he stayed for more than dinner on that one.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sold!!!! I have some apples that could do with being used too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marie....does this cake lend itself to being cut into portions and put in the freezer til I need one or two?

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure Amy. I have never frozen it. You could try freezing one portion and see how that works out. Let me know what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious - I made this on the weekend and served to guests - everyone was coming back for more and more. What was left I cut into squares and put in the fridge - equally delicious cold - have had two squares this morning already.....packed some in the lunch boxes. I did grate the apple, because we have someone who has an aversion to fruit - one could not really taste the apple - and I think that I would prefer the texture of chunks - great and easy recipe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!