Spanish Cream

Thursday 11 November 2010

Spanish Cream






Some 30 years ago now, my ex mother in law gifted me one Christmas with a little handwritten notebook of all her favourite and best tested recipes.



Spanish Cream





These were her tried and trues . . . her family favourites. Throughout the years it has been a treasure to me, and I treasure it still.



Spanish Cream






The ink in it is fading now and the pages are all splotched and splattered from use. You can tell it's been well loved. 


 I am in the process of transferring the recipes to another book now so that they are there for my children and grandchildren . . .




Spanish Cream





It is a long process . . . there are loads of lovely recipes in this little notebook . . . and it was during the process of copying them over yesterday that I came upon this little gem, which brought back some lovely memories.



Spanish Cream






It had been a long time since I had made this. It is a bit old fashioned perhaps . . . but very good nonetheless. 


 You start by making a simple custard and then add gelatin. It chills into a wobbly sweet delight, that pleases and feeds the soul.



Spanish Cream






You can have it with tinned fruit of course . . . most work very well, especially peaches and apricots. 



 It's lovely served with crushed strawberries, absolutely lovely . . . it's my favorite way to enjoy it.



Spanish Cream






but in the cooler months when you can't get fresh strawberries that are worth eating, we like to have it with jam. 


 Cherry is very good, but so is strawberry . . . raspberry, blueberry . . . it goes well with most kinds!



Spanish Cream






Just because something is simple and a little old fashioned, that doesn't mean it isn't delicious. In fact sometimes they are the most delicious things of all! 


 Me??? I'm an old fashioned gal . . .



Spanish Cream






*Spanish Cream*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Light and delicious.

16 fluid ounces of milk divided (2 cups)
1 envelope of powdered gelatin (3 tsp)
2 large free range eggs, divided
2 1/2 ounces caster sugar (aprox. 1/3 cup)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla

To serve:
tinned fruit or jam

Measure out 4 ounces of milk into a small bowl. Stir in the gelatin. Set aside to soften.

Place the egg yolks into the top of a double boiler. Whisk in the sugar and then the remainder of the milk. Place over simmering water and cook, stirring constantly, with a metal spoon, until the mixture coats the back of the spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir in the softened gelatin and vanilla, and then pour into a large beaker and put into the fridge. Chill until partially set. (about 45 minutes)

Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Remove the partially set mixture from the fridge. Fold in the egg whites until completely mixed in. Pour the mixture into 4 serving dishes. Return to the fridge and chill until completely set. (about 4 hours)

Serve along with a topping of tinned fruit or jam.



27 comments

  1. Yum!! Will have to try this one looks delish and simple as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely treasure to have! I have some recipe cards from my sister and Mom that they hand written and I keep t hem safe too. You'll have to post more recipes from her little book! This sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, It's super tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM...this looks so good1 And I hope you rewrote everything! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. We called that dish Blancmange. When I was a child I used to love the wobble when it was turned out:) I love all the old recipes. This is really much the same as Panna Cotta isn't it. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of Spanish Cream. Some of the best recipes are old, simple, and down-to-earth like this one! The pretty serving glasses turn it gourmet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made your Lemon Curd Muffins.
    Just wonerful!
    Thanks for such amazing recipes!
    Spanish Cream?
    I´m spanish and I've never heard this.
    Love from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so good Marie :) going to try to make it soon. Hugs and Love, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the look of this Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds tasty and simple! I just blogged about your "Roasted Sausages and Butternut Mash" on my blog (http://food-hound.blogspot.com)... you should give it a look!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely recipe Marie, look amazing and delicious! xxxgloria

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's nothing better than a family recipe...handwritten! What a treasure...and a wonderful dessert! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely gift - especially handwritten, its a piece of living history. I can understand how this recipe made the pages, it looks very naughty ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! I’m looking to make some changes in my own eating habits, so I appreciate your insight a lot! Thank you. I recently stumbled upon this blog like I did yours and I thought your readers may appreciate it: http://burisonthecouch.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/food-for-thought/

    I’ve started to look for their stuff more regularly and I think I’m going to add your blog to my list as well. Thanks for the post!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this brings back memories Marie! My Mum did the same recipe but it was called Angel Food. She got the recipe from the back of a Davis gelatine packet. She also 'commented' that it was fiddly, so only made it once a year on my birthday - gosh it was good. How lucky was I!
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooh, how yummy! Old fashioned is right up my alley, Marie! I love that you are taking such good care of the recipes...and I love recipes with a history--can't wait to try this, as custards are just about my favorite thing!

    Hope you're having a wonderful night, my dear friend...much love being sent your way this very instant!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks SO good Marie, I love this kind of dessert, can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Marie for this recipe. This has been a family tradition for over 30 years. We have it every year at Christmas time. The only thing I do different is before the gelatin is poured into molds we line the bottom of each with a thin slice of pound cake. We let it set overnight, top with whip cream, and marichino cherries....thanks again so much, and happy holidays

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for this recipe. My birthday is Friday and this was always my "special request" favorite. Think I will make it, but will use my Mother's copy (the same actually).

    This is really an old one as I will be 75 this birthday.

    Thanks for the memories. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sue, thank you so much for your comment. You are right. It is a very old recipe. Happy Birthday to you! My husband was 75 on his last birthday too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a very old recipe that my grandmother always made for holidays. I learned to make it and I am now 74 yrs. old. It is very simple and every one in our family enjoys. I need to teach my granddaughter how to make it. She is 18 yrs. and enjoys cooking. Thanks for sharing !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Bertha! You do need to teach your granddaughter how to make it. Its a legacy type of recipe! xo

      Delete
  22. I grew up on Spanish cream, or blancmange if you like, & it is still a family favourite. You can virtually add any flavour you like to the mix or just have it plain & add fruit for garnish, your choice. Im surprised that not many people have heard of it. I grew up in the bush in Australia & most people knew what it was. My great grandmother, who died at 94, grandmother, who died at 89 & mother, who died at 76, use to make it all the time & now so do I, so you could say my recipe is well over 100years old. It’s the simple good ones that last the longest. Some people liken it to angels food but that is basically cream & jelly/gelatine. So different in taste & texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, its the only solid recipes which stand the test of time that are ou true gems!

      Delete
  23. I used to make this before we had even heard of salmonella. But I had stopped making it for obvious reasons. The egg-whites are still uncooked Any suggestions please ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can buy cartons of pasteurized egg whites at the grocery store. I would freeze the whites from the fresh eggs to use in meringues at some point (they freeze beautifully) and use two eggs worth of whites from the pasteurized egg whites. Hope this helps!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!