Sticky Ginger Orange Chops with Parsnip, Potato and Honey Mustard Mash

Friday 5 November 2010



I was in town this morning, doing a bit of Christmas shopping, and I just couldn't resist picking up some tasty looking pork chops at M&S. Their meat always looks so good, and I know that it's responsibly sourced . . . it may cost a bit more, but once in awhile we all deserve a treat.



I was also very keen to use my Jamie Oliver kitchen kit again. I am so in love with all of it! I tell you it's really inspired me in a way I haven't been inspired in since I left my job at the Manor back in March.



I thought for the chops I'd do a slightly spiced rub and then a sweet and spicy glaze. But what to have with them . . . . hmmm . . .




I looked in the veggie bin and spied some parsnips and decided I'd do a parsnip and potato mash. We just love parsnips in this house and our potatoes were a little thin on the ground. Mashing them together with parsnips is a really tasty way of making a few potatoes stretch further!


I also added some cream, a grainy Dijon Mustard and some creamy honey . . . coz honey and mustard go so very well with parsnips, doncha know!

Mmm . . . mmm . . . good. This went down a real treat!



*Sticky Ginger Orange Chops with Parsnip, Potato and Honey Mustard Mash*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Deliciously sticky chops with a hint of warmth, atop a bed of luscious parsnip and potato mash. Scrumptious!

For the chops:
the juice of two oranges
1/2 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 heaped TBS clear honey
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp mild chili powder
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 pork loin chops

For the mash:
4 large parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into chunks
4 ounces (1/2 cup) whole fat milk
2 ounces butter (1/4 cup)
4 TBS double cream
1 TBS creamed honey
2 TBS grainy mustard
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

To garnish: (optional)
the juilenned zest of one orange
a handful of chopped coriander

Squeeze the orange juice, fresh ginrer and clear honey for the chops into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil and then simmer until it begins to thicken a bit. Set aside. Mix together the cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt and pepper. Rub into the chops, and set aside to marinate for about 15 minutes.

Place the parsnips and potatoes into a large saucepan. Cover with cold water, lightly salt and then bring to the boil. Reduce to a quick simmer and then simmer until almost tender. Drain well and then return to the pan. Add the milk and simmer until completely tender.

While the potatoes are simmering in the milk, heat a lightly oiled large grill pan over medium high heat. Add the chops, brush the tops with the orange sauce. Grill for 8 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time and brushing again with the sauce, until cooked through and the sauce is somewhat caramelized. Keep warm while you finish the mash.

Remove the parsnips, potatoes and milk from the heat. Mash together with the butter, cream, honey and mustard, until smooth, and only using enough cream to give you a nice consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Place into a large shallow heated bowl and top with the chops and any juices. Garnish with the julienned zest of one orange and chopped fresh coriander if desired.

Pop back a little later on when I'll be posting my French Fridays post!

8 comments

  1. Looks good. I've never cooked a parsnip but I do a lot of firsts over here in Holland. I need to keep cream in my koelcast(icebox) it seems and more veggies in my larder! xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hayırlı günler, ellerinize sağlık. Çok güzel görünüyor.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound yummy, i love parsnips so i will have to try this,, :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound good. It's under the fridge magnet for next week's menu!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chops look scrumptious! I've definitely bookmarked this for the pork chops in my freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You take such beautiful pictures of your food. I can just see that glaze glowing on the pork chops and that just makes them look all the more delicious. Sounds like you had a great dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree your meals.. desserts ..etc always are photoed in such a way that they inspire your readers to MAKE what you do..Bravo..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!