Almond Florentine

Thursday 9 December 2010



You can't get much easier than this deliciously tasty cracker snack! Seriously! I was so excited to find these Italian Crackers over here, coz it meant that I would be able to make one of my favourite Christmas Treats!



You can have it made and cooling in less than 15 minutes! This is a recipe that I got years and years ago from one of my father's friends and it's soooo delicious. I had been longing for it and despairing of being able to have it . . . until I found these crackers. They are just like the Saltine Soda Crackers from back home . . . or pretty close anyways!



Using simple ingredients and not a lot of skill, this is recipe is a real winner all round. I have a meeting to go to tonight and I thought I'd gift the ladies with this delightful treat!



And you know . . . there's no calories in gifts are there . . .



Shhh . . . don't burst my bubble!



Crispy, salty, buttery and sweet. M-O-R-E-I-S-H-L-Y unbelievably scrummily and dangerously addictive!! (Don't say I didn't warn you!!)



*Almond Florentine*
(i.e.Cracker Candy!)
Makes one baking sheet full
Printable Recipe

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Italian crackers
8 ounces butter (1 cup)
170g of light brown muscovado sugar (1 cup packed)
100g flaked almonds (1 cup)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 5. Line a baking sheet (with sides) with some aluminum foil. Butter the foil well. Lay out enough of the crackers in a single layer to completely cover the bottom of the baking sheet. Set aside.

Place the butter into a saucepan. Melt. Whisk in the brown sugar and heat over medium heat for 5 minutes without boiling, whisking until completely amalgamated and the sugar is dissolved. Pour this mixture evenly over top of the crackers. Sprinkle the flaked almonds evenly over top.

Bake for 7 minutes. Turn the oven off. Crack the oven door open and allow to sit for 3/4 to 1 hour in time. Cut into squares while still warm. Store in an airtight container.

If you like you can drop some chopped milk chocolate over top of the mixture, while it is still hot and spread it out to cover.

11 comments

  1. What a wonderful easy recipe! Perfect use for the large bag of sliced almonds sitting in my pantry. I would love to give these a try. I wonder if ordinary soda crackers would do the trick in case I'm unable to track down Italian crackers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quote from above article: "They are just like the Saltine Soda Crackers from back home . . . or pretty close anyways!"

      Delete
  2. I have made this and it is so simple and so good! I had lost the recipe, so thanks for this! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tis such a joy when you discover one of your treats from back home, especially at this time of year too. These look very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! Thank you so very much for sharing this..they look amazing..and are simple on top of that :)Perfect.

    Enjoy the day,
    DOreen

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love them. I add dried fruit to mine. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YIKES, Marie! I don't know if I dare make those! All these decadent treats you keep coming up with are going to ruin me, my friend!

    I hope you're having the most wonderful of December days...sending oh, so much love and warm hugs to you today!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. So thin & delicate... but look HUGELY good... YUM! So many treat to want to make just now, trying to be good... LOL! ;o) Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I buy those crackers all the time but was totally unaware that they could be made so different. And I love caramel and almonds...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic! It could be my next culinary gift idea for this Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you wicked woman!! I love these crackers, now I am going to adore them...and there is me trying to be good....

    Hugs

    Sheilagh

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!