Garden Party Fairy Cakes for a Royal Wedding

Thursday 7 April 2011






The royal wedding countdown is on! To celebrate the forthcoming royal wedding, Tate & Lyle Sugars have launched a Let Them Eat Cake campaign, to get the country eating wedding cake. They are hosting a wedding cake exhibition and a baking competition where you could be in with a chance of having your own cake displayed at the exhibition!

The two first place winners will have their cake created by a top cake designer and be on show at the exhibition. In addition, they will be invited to attend the show, and also win a course voucher ,worth £125, for a Squires cooking course. This is a one-day course at Squires Kitchen’s International School in Farnham, Surrey. They will also be given a copy of one of their new baking guide books. To enter, simply go to 'Let Them Eat Cake' website for more information.



I've long been a fan of Tate & Lyle sugars. You mightn't think that there is much difference between one sugar or another, but . . . call me crazy if you will . . . I think that there surely is. I like the Tate & Lyle sugars the best. I prefer their packaging over all the others, and I love that they promote Fair Trade. In celebration of the upcoming Royal Wedding ,they have put out a special Edition of Icing Sugar, To Have and To Hold, and they, very generously, sent me a package to use to bake something tasty to help celebrate the upcoming festivities!




One thing that I really love about this great nation is the way they throw their hearts and souls into all these special occasions!! All up and down the country on the 29th of April ,people will be celebrating the Royal Nuptials with Street Parties, Barbeques, Garden Parties, Tea Parties . . . whatever way they can come up with, to help to celebrate this wonderful event, and wish the newly weds good luck! Britannia Bunting will be spread from the North to the South , and from the East to the West! Hooray to Wills and Kate! May they be truly happy.

I, for one, am really rooting for them! I think it is truly a love match and they are a lovely young couple. I wish them all the best in the world!



We will, of course, be tuning into and glued to our Television to take in all of the wedding from beginning to end (our invitation having been lost in the post of course!) and then I think afterwards, weather permitting, we will be enjoying a lovely little Garden Party to toast the young couple.



I'll spread our outside table with a pretty cloth, and lay on some punch and pretty finger sandwiches, perhaps some sausage rolls and a pork pie or two, and other finger foods and goodies . . . a veritable Garden Party Feast fit for royalty!



I may have one big cake, or I may just bake a bunch of these pretty little Garden Party Fairy Cakes that I came up with to use some of that lovely icing sugar Tate & Lyle sent me. Aren't they cute??? I was going to do something in red, white and blue, but you would be hard pressed right now to come up with anything red, white or blue to decorate your cakes with. They've all been scooped up and sold out, but perhaps I can use some fresh red and blue berries on the day, which might be nice.



In the meantime, I think these fairy cakes fit the bill perfectly, with their cute little flower basket shapes,( thanks to my little brioche roll tins,) a delicious green tinted butter cream and a sprinkling of little blossoms on the top.



Definitely Royal Wedding Garden Party fare, don't you think??? (They would be great for Easter too!) Buttery, rich and really vanilla-ee!! Oh so scrummy yummy!!



*Garden Party Fairy Cakes*
Makes 12
Printable Recipe


Pretty little fairy cakes, flavoured with vanilla, topped with butter cream and then decorated according to your fancy!

4 ounces softened butter (1/2 cup)
4 ounces caster sugar (1 cup plus 1 TBS)
2 large free range eggs, beaten
4 ounces self raising flour (1 scant cup) sifted
2 TBS milk
1 tsp pure vanilla

For the buttercream:
3 ounces of butter, softened (6 TBS)
8 ounces icing sugar (2 cups) sifted
2 TBS milk
1/2 tsp pure vanilla

Decorations and sprinkles as desired.

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. Butter and flour 12 pretty cupcake molds, or use as I have done, 12 brioche roll tins. Set on a baking sheet and set aside.

Using an electric whisk, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, a bit at a time until well combined, adding a TBS of the measured flour if the mixture begins to curdle. Fold in the flour. Stir in the milk and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Divide the batter between the baking cups equally. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until well risen, golden and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Remove from the oven. Let cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.

To make the buttercream, measure all the ingredients into a bowl and beat with an electric whisk until smooth and creamy. You can add a drop of colouring if you wish to tint it. Spread some on the top of each cooled cake and then decorate with sprinkles etc. as you wish.

If you are in a baking mood please do check out the We Love Baking page on Facebook by Tate & Lyle. It's wonderful and there's always something delicous baking there! It's one of my favourite pages!

14 comments

  1. oh Marie, i want to eat them all.. !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to eat them all too and could! I love these little fairy cakes, they are so Spring-like with this lovely color! Love them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious!!!!
    I'll try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely little fairy cakes, I love the shape of the sponge. Thanks for such a pretty post! I'm SO excited about the wedding. I coming to visit my mum in England soon, I'll miss the wedding but looking forward to seeing England again.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  5. very pretty Marie! I like that they are small so if I make them I can nibble when I have a sweet tooth urge! Maybe my tiny muffin tins will work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM... and so pretty too! I love the shape and decorating of these cakes, Marie! I've had my calendar marked for the Royal Wedding since Christmas--it will be so exciting! I must make a sweet treat to celebrate, these cakes of yours inspire! ;o) Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely little cakes Marie. I was hoping to be visiting friends in Nottingham during the wedding but that looks like it isn't going to happen so I'll have to depend posts like this to get me through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute campaign. I love everyone's enthusiasm for the big day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marie these are soooo cutes and lovely! I love your fairy cakes and specially love the colour!! look georgeous! sned you huggs and kisses, Love yah my dear, xxgloria

    ReplyDelete
  10. They do look like a summer garden on a plate ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been lurking here for a while, but never commented till now.

    These look and sound fantastic! I can't wait to try them out.

    By the way, I did the opposite of what you did. I was born and raised in the UK, and then moved to Canada (Vancouver) seven years ago. It's a move I've never once regretted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fairy cakes look delightful!!

    I hope that the royal couple is very happy. Here in the States, we think it is strange for an adult to need his Granny's permission to get married. But, he held out for the woman he loves!! Love stories don't get any better than that!

    I will be watching the wedding on television, but am not sure the time. After all, that is 2:30 a.m. on a work day for me.

    I hope everyone in the UK has a great party, and.....

    I wish the couple the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure how much I can watch, being as I do not have teevee. But surely it will be streamed on CBC? Hope so. It will be very early morn here, so I'll probably have my pillow face on. Fairy cakes would not work well with my All Bran. I'll have to give this some thought.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!