Raspberry Rice Pudding

Sunday 4 September 2011



We are real rice pudding fiends in this house. We'll even eat it out of the tin . . . true confession here. There are times when nothing but a rice pudding will do.
It's so comforting and cosy. Nursery food . . . it makes one hearken back to cuddling times on their mama's lap . . . and feeling oh-so-loved up.



Not all rice puddings are equal though . . . the tinned stuff is adequate but not totally scrummy . . . it always tastes a bit like tinned milk to me, but sometimes if that is all you got, it will do.



The baked ones are gorgous . . . with all that lovely skin on top . . . all rich and delish.
Custardy types are fab too. My ex Mother in Law made an absolutely wonderful one, no kidding! One of my absolute favourite versions is this one that I always make at Christmas. It's rich and decadent and totally moreishly delicious!



Today though, I found a recipe in one of my Gary Rhodes cookbooks (Fall into Winter) for a Raspberry Rice Pudding Flan. It looked and sounded good . . . but alas I am rather lazy at times . . . so I pimped it out and skipped the pastry.



Creamy and rich and delicious spooned over fresh sweet raspberries . . . and we have some fabulous ones from Scotland in the shops at the moment. Of course you could also use fresh blackberries . . . now that would be a real treat . . . or maybe some poached apricots . . . or poached plums . . .

One thing for sure is that this rice pudding is one that will have you digging into the fridge long after everyone else is tucked up in bed . . . spoon in hand . . . for just one more taste . . .



*Raspberry Rice Pudding*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Delicious fresh raspberries, topped with a rich creamy warm rice pudding. Fabulous!

225g fresh raspberries (1/2 pound)
600ml of whole milk (2 1/2 cups)
300ml of double cream (1 1/4 cups)
1 vanilla pod, split
1 TBS finely grated orange zest
50g of golden caster sugar (1/4 cup)
freshly grated nutmeg
100g of Italian Arborio Rice (1/2 cup)
large knob of butter, melted and extra grating of nutmeg to finish (optional)

Pour the milk and cream into a large saucepan. Add the split vanilla pod and bring the mixture to the boil. Remove from the heat, whisk in the orange zest, caster sugar and a generous dusting of freshly grated nutmeg. Allow to influse for 10 minutes.

At the end of that time add the rice to the flavoured milk, return the pan to the heat and bring to a slow simmer. Cook over very low heat for 30 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. The rice should be very tender and creamy at the end of that time. Remove the pan from the heat and remove the vanilla pod. (This can be rinsed, dried and then popped into your sugar canister where it will infuse your sugar with vanilla for a very long time.)

Divide the raspberries amongst 4 dessert dishes, reserving a few for a garnish. Spoon the warm rice pudding over top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or so and then drizzle with the butter if using and a dusting of freshly grated nutmeg. Garnish with a few fresh raspberries and serve whilst still warm. Delicious!

Note: if you have any leftovers and I did because I only made two servings, the leftover rice pudding can be put in a small dish, covered and refrigerated. It's very good cold as well. You are a Saint if you can keep yourself from tucking into it during the evening for just one more spoonful.



Over in The Cottage today we're filling up on Little Lemon Souffle Cakes!

6 comments

  1. I missed your saturday post again,, my blogger reader isn't working right!!! Anyway I'm here now and boy oh boy we are rice pudding lovers here as well, this type and baked ones as well.I will use this one next time,, yours sound really good.Have a special weekend Marie,, I have to go now and read the Pasty recipes,

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful pudding! Good Sunday, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love rice pudding but have not had it in years, thanks for the reminder.

    Great blog, new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you mentioned on my blog post today, we are BOTH in the same frame of mind, comfort puddings!
    Yours looks absolutely wonderful and so creamy and what a great way to use some of my late rasps up too......a lovely post Marie!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmm, that looks fab. And to be honest, I think Gary goes well over the top with his recipes so the pastry would have been a step too far in my book ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Marie - I have missed your blog! That rice pudding looks perfect - so creamy and full of comfort - delicious - I really don't think I could share it though!
    Mary oxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!