Gingerbread Roasted Chickpeas

Tuesday 8 November 2011



Every once in a while I try to do something really healthy for myself. I like to have something to munch on sometimes in the evening when the Toddster and I settle in to watching the telly and it's nice to have a healthy option available.



I love chickpeas! (Or Garbanzo Beans as they are sometimes called in North America) Trouble is they don't always like me! 'Nuff Said!



They become incredibly moreish when they are roasted in the oven until they are all toasty and crunchy! They're also very versatile when done this way as you can always change up or down the herbs, spices and flavourings to your own taste.



Today I did them with traditional Gingerbread flavours and boy oh boy, they are some good!



It's not that easy to photograph roasted chickpeas in a favourable light, and to make them look interesting . . . I've done the best that I could.



Try some today. You'll be glad you did I reckon! ♥☺♥ These would make great nibbles to have with drinks over the holidays instead of peanuts. They're high in fibre and relatively low in fat . . . healthy even!



*Gingerbread Roasted Chickpeas*
Makes about 2 cups
Printable Recipe

Deliciously, moreishly scrummily delish!

1 (420g) tin of chickpeas, drained ( 15 ounce)
2 tsp of salad oil
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg
1 TBS raw granulated sugar
pinch of salt
1 TBS runny honey

Preheat your oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. Have ready a baking tray with sides. Put this into the oven while the oven is heating.

Drain your chicken peas really well, giving them a good old rinse under cold water until the water runs clear and then shake them really well to get a lot of the water off. Put them into a bowl. Toss together with the salad oil and all of the spices and the granulated sugar. Mix them up really well. Toss them onto the heated baking tray.

Bake for 15 to 40 minutes giving the baking tray a good shake every ten minutes or so. By the end of that time they should be crunchy and no longer soft in the middle. If not, bake them for a few minutes longer, but watch carefully so that they don't burn.

Remove from the oven, drizzle the honey over top along with the salt and give them a good old shake to coat. Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container. So good!!

Note: Chili spiced ones are good as well. Just swap the sweet spice here for ground cumin, oregano, ground coriander and some mild chili powder. Keep in the sugar, honey and salt. Scrumdiddlyumptious also!



And over in The Cottage today, you'll find Sesame Chicken. Deliciously simple!

5 comments

  1. These look wonderful and perfect for this time of year. I've had roasted chickpeas once before, but they were plain salted one. These sound fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might be a fun thing to try out on my girl firends. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chickpeas and these sounds wonderful my dear friend! send you huggs and love xxxgloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sold! I love chickpeas and I LOVE gingerbread too.......wonderful idea for a healthy and tasty snack.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!