Easter Dibs and Dabs

Friday 6 April 2012



What is that they say about best laid plans and all that??? Our kitchen, which was supposed to be finished today is only half done and because tomorrow is Good Friday the workman won't be back until Saturday, so here I sit with a completely unworkable kitchen . . . no cooking. It better be done by Saturday afternoon . . . I've got people coming for Easter Dinner!

Anyways, in the meantime I thought I would share some of my favourite Easter Treats with you all, and with any lucky by Saturday afternoon, I'll be cooking up a few of my own!

These cupcakes are really cute. I have used those coconut Ferrero Raffaello Chocolates, cut in half. Don't they look cute? The ears are large marshmallows cut into quarters, and then the cut edges rolled in coloured sugars. Pink dragees are the eyes, and those are pink candy balls for the noses. I also had some candied flowers for an additional touch. Enjoy!



*Easter Bunny Cupcakes*
Makes 18
Printable Recipe

Vanilla cupcakes:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
(Crisco, Trex, White Flora)
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 large eggs
A quantity of Vanilla Butter cream icing (see below)
various decorations (marshmallows, coloured candies, etc.)



Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Line 18 muffin cups with paper cupcake liners. Set aside.

Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl to combine. Add the shortening, milk, vanilla and eggs. Beat with an electric whisk until all the ingredients are just blended. Spoon equal amounts into the paper liners in the muffin cups, filling each one no more than 2/3 full.

Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until they test done. (A toothpick inserted in one should come out clean and they should bounce back when lightly touched with a fingertip.) Remove from the pans immediately to wire racks to cool completely before continuing.

Once they are completely cooled, frost and decorate as you wish.

*Vanilla Buttercream*

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cups sifted icing sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Place the softened butter into a large bowl. Beat in 2 cups of the icing sugar. Then beat in the milk and the vanilla. Gradually beat in the remaining 2 cups of icing sugar until the icing is thick enough to be of the right spreading consistency. You may not need all of the sugar.




Hot Cross Scones
Your favourite Easter bun, except in a tasty spiced and fruited scone, topped with icing crosses.



Easter Chocolate Crispie Nests
Everyone loves these!! Easy and quick to make. They're a complete doddle!



Hot Cross Buns
M&S are pretty good, but why not try making your own? They're not that hard, really. IF I can make them anyone can!!



Simnel Tart
A flakey tart base of puffed pastry, topped with fruit and marzipan. DEEEE-licious! (and easy too!)



Hot Cross Muffins
Tasty fruited muffins, again with icing crosses.



Bun and Butter Pudding
Use your excess Hot Cross Buns to make this delicious version of bread and butter pudding. (Ok, so if you are like me there's never any excess hot cross buns, but never mind, it's worth buying some just to make this delectable dessert!!)



Hot Cross Buns with a delicious Spiced Fruited Butter
And finally . . . a delicious spiced and fruited butter to serve with your toasted hot cross buns for breakfast on Easter morning, a la Nigel Slater!

9 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing the "Best Of Eater Goodies" Marie. I like the bunnies chubby cheeks : ) Have a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I meant 'Easter' not 'Eater'. Ha, ha- correct either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the glitch sorted itself out!
    This is a real mouth-watering post. I love the Bunny cupcakes.
    I belong to a FB group about England, and this morning one of my American friends was recommending your blog because she has seen it on mine! They are drooling over your carrot cake at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, my comment appeared twice. First it won't let me comment, and then it makes me repeat myself, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yum, what an assortment, i love them all,!!! Have a wonderful easter Marie, thankyou again for the beautiful Easter card, I think of you often, wish you were closer, Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your recipes and the history with them to. Like the Hot cross buns.

    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie, I have just found your fabulous site.
    I am a Brit from the Midlands, living in Canada for the last thirty years.
    I cannot wait to show my husband your recipes as he loves to cook too and they bring back some lovely memories of meals from our past. We are hoping to be in England again next year, when the Wisterias bloom.
    I am now a follower and have bookmarked your site.
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marie, I pinned your Easter Bunny cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!