An Italian in The English Kitchen

Friday 28 September 2012


Source: tumblr.com via Emily on Pinterest

Since I am away at the Turkey Awards in London, I have a lovely guest post here for you today from my friend Giuseppe of the blog Il Paladino del Gusto.




(I hope that he doesn't mind me sharing his photo with you.)

Giuseppe is a handsome Italian Chef who cooks and works in Parma, Italy and has very kindly offered to step into my place while I am away.   He has a degree in Gastronomic Sciences, and is a trained Pasta Chef, and works as a manager/trainer in the Food and Beverage Industry in Italy.  I hope you will give him a very warm welcome and go and visit his page in return.  Remember that English is not his first language, nor is Italian mine!  I think together we have done very well with this presentation,  so for now here is the first dish he wishes to share with us.

This is a dish he cooked for a Michelin Starred Restaurant in 2004.  A delicious looking dish of pasta with vegetables and shellfish.  Shellfish is not something you find very often on here as both the Toddster and I are allergic, so do enjoy a rare treat!

 

*Spaghette alla Chitarra tiepidi con verdure croccanti e crostacei, olio allo scalogno
(Narrow stripped spaghetti with crispy vegetables, shellfish and shallow oil)
Looks to serve 4
Printable Recipe

A tasty recipe from Giuseppe Salvador Paladino of  the blog Il Paladino del Gusto.  A little taste of Italy on the English Kitchen.

400g of narrow stripped spaghetti
400g of shellfish
40g of celery,
40g of carrots
20g of red pepper
20g of yellow pepper
20g of courgette
4 liters of shellfish stock
1 liter of vegetable stock
50g of shallot oil
2 small shallots, chopped
some chives
salt and black pepper

This is an exquisite Italian main course and easy to prepare.  The sauce can be prepared a few hours in advance and re-heated at the moment of service.


Method

  • Cut the vegetables (celery, carrots, peppers, courgette and shallow) into cubes of 5mm size.  Saute each one separately in a pan with oil for a few minutes, until they turn crispy.
  • Put the vegetables in a very large bowl because it has to hold pasta and sauce.
  • De-glaze the pan with a ladle of vegetable stock for each of the vegetables.  You have to reduce it and add the "glassa" to the same bowl of before.
  • Heat some more oil in the  skillet.  Add the shallots and saute over medium heat until tender, but not coloured. Keep warm.
  • Peel, de-vein and steam the shellfish.  (You can use these carcasses to prepare for the shellfish stock.)  Of course you must cut the shellfish into bite sized pieces.
  • Cook the pasta in the shellfish stock, according to the package directions.  When cooked, drain well and then return to the pan with the shallots and oil in it.  Add the vegetables and shellfish.  Toss together.  Season to taste with salt and pepper and freshly chopped chives.   Pour into a large pasta bowl for serving.
I don't know about you, but even though I can't eat shellfish, my tastebuds are tingling.  Tune in tomorrow when he shares one of his favourite desserts with us all!

Thanks Giuseppe!

3 comments

  1. Oooh, good choice Marie, you know I love prawns! Congrats also on your win....well deserved my lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations my dear friend, delighted for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are having fun fun fun..Thanks for leaving us with company:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!