Sweet & Spicy Chicken

Friday 22 February 2013

  photo SAM_5045_zpsc65c5bcc.jpg

This is a recipe I had bookmarked over on Sandra's page a long time ago.   She called it Sweet and Spicy Bacon Chicken.   I just call it Sweet and Spicy Chicken, and after finally making it today, I call it delicious.
It's the type of recipe I love to use during the week when I am rather rushed for time, because it's quick and it's easy . . .

 photo SAM_5046_zpsfd7814db.jpg

You simply cut chicken breasts into strips, roll them in a spicy mixture, wrap them in bacon, pop them into a pan and here is where I made some changes.  Sandra rolled hers in brown sugar, but I choose to sprinkle mine with a mixture of oregano and brown sugar . . . oregano and chili go well together.

  photo SAM_5047_zps17ac0e67.jpg

I then chose to sprinkle some brown sugar over top and then drizzle them with maple syrup.  It's the Canuck in me I'm afraid . . .   In Canada we can buy maple smoked bacon and today the Canadian in me was longing for maple smoked bacon and so I drizzled the maple syrup over top  . . .

  photo SAM_5048_zps7664103f.jpg

Brown sugar . . . Maple Syrup.  Brown Sugar . . . Maple Syrup.   The Maple Syrup adds a lovely dimension of flavours and it is just about sugar season back home when the woods are filled with maple taps and the air is filled with the smell of the sap of the maples being boiled down into syrup.

  photo SAM_5055_zps98f0e861.jpg

Yes, you can take the girl out of Canada . . . but you can't quite take all of the Canadian out of the girl.  So anyways, here is my take on Sandra's recipe.   Sweet and Spicy Chicken.

 photo SAM_5056_zpsc6283019.jpg

Tis good . . . very, very good. I dipped mine in Barbeque Sauce . . .  Jack Daniels Barbeque sauce . . . coz bacon and sugar and maple syrup is not enough calories to add to low fat chicken . . . you just have to throw a few more in there don't cha!  And that's how I roll.  (You should know that by now!)

  photo SAM_5044_zps7e3cad5b.jpg

*Sweet & Spicy Chicken*
Makes 4 servings
Printable Recipe

A delicious recipe I adapted from one I found on  fullbellies.blogspot.com.   Take care not to over cook the chicken.  Delicious.

4 free range chicken breasts
12 slices of smoked rind-less streaky bacon
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp mild chili powder
1 tsp oregano
4 TBS soft light brown sugar
125ml of pure maple syrup (1/2 cup)

Barbeque sauce for dipping

Preheat the oven to 200*C.400*F/ gas mark 6.   Butter a large baking dish well.  Set aside.

Cut your chicken breasts lengthwise into thirds, giving you 12 pieces in all, chicken tender sized.   (Alternately you could use 12 chicken tenders).   Mix together the salt, black pepper, garlic powder and chili powder.   Sprinkle this mixture over all of your chicken pieces, coating them well.   Using one slice of streaky bacon for each piece, wrap it around the chicken, making sure that the beginning and ending of the wrap are on the same side.  Place into the baking dish with the ends of the bacon side down.  Sprinkle them with the oregano and brown sugar.   Drizzle the maple syrup over top.

Bake in the heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the bacon has begun to glaze and become crisp.   Serve hot with some barbeque sauce for dipping if desired.   I am awfully fond of the Jack Daniels Barbeque Sauce.   Just sayin' is all.

  photo SAM_5058_zps62708946.jpg 

I served these with some new potatoes that I had sliced in half lengthwise and then roasted with butter and garlic seasoning and some steamed carrots.  It made for a fine meal.

4 comments

  1. I love recipes like this, perfect for a mid-week meal. Will be giving this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello here is Sandra from France. Just a few words to say that I love your blog and your recipes. I try this one : my children love it so much!!!!! So am I!!!! Grettings from the french alps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra! Welcome, Bien Venue!! I am so happy that your children enjoyed this recipe. Thank you also for coming back to tell me! You have made me smile! Thanks so much! ☺

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!