Thai Chicken Tacos

Saturday 1 June 2013

  photo SAM_6118_zps25b02d69.jpg
Well, I am back from Canada and in good old blighty!  It's freezing cold here compared to where I just left!  Who'd a thunk it?  In any case I am home and glad to be here, cold or not.  I haven't actually done any cooking yet as I just arrived here at the house late yesterday afternoon, but I did have a few things to share with you that I did when I was in Canada.

 photo SAM_6120_zps02feb5b6.jpg

The first day that I went to check the post for my mother there was this lovely package for me from my friend Monique (La Table De Nana) and inside was the latest issue of Canadian Living Magazine, amongst a few other niceties!  She's a girl after my own heart and she knows what I like!  Thank you Monique!  The picture on the cover of the magazine was a variety of fresh tacos and I could not wait to get stuck into making at least one of them.

 photo SAM_6122_zpsd596255a.jpg

The day my mom went into hospital I took the opportunity to make the Thai Chicken ones for my daughter and myself.  I figured cooking together would be a nice distraction for the pair of us, and it was.

 photo SAM_6123_zpsee00ce38.jpg

They actually called these Lemongrass Chicken Tacos and likened them to Vietnamese, but I felt they were more like Thai flavours.  I have adapted it a bit to what I was able to get ingredient wise and what we like to eat.   The flavour is fresh and clean and well . . . quite scrummy!!

 photo SAM_6124_zps48aa55a8.jpg

The chicken is first marinated in a tasty mixture of herbs and other ingredients and then flash grilled until it is nicely crisped and browned on the outside . . . and moist and tender on the insides.

  photo SAM_6127_zps5eb0b3d9.jpg

Topping them is a deliciously fresh cucumber salad, which was fabulous in it's own right, and adding a beautiful touch of crunch and colour.

 photo SAM_6131_zpsc8b74218.jpg

We just loved these.  They were different.  They were tasty.   They were colourful.  They were healthy. They were easy to make, and they were addictive.   I will be adding them to my recipe rotation for sure.  The leftover salad was really good the next day as well, kind of like a pickle.

Enjoy!

  photo SAM_6121_zps0ce0419b.jpg 

*Thai Chicken Tacos*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe
Loosely based on a recipe from Canadian Living.   Quick, easy, delicious and healthy!
For the Tacos:
2 TBS lemon grass paste (Or freshly grated lemon grass)
2 TBS packed light brown muscovado sugar
1 TBS Thai fish sauce
1 TBS canola oil
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 tsp garlic paste (or 2 cloves, minced)
1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 TBS coriander paste (or to taste)
8 soft flour tortillas (6 inch)
a handful of chopped roasted peanuts

For the Cucumber Salad:
2 tsp seasoned rice wine vinegar
1 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 of an English cucumber, sliced into thin half moons
2 medium carrots, peeled and julienned


 photo SAM_6132_zps59cb2800.jpg

Whisk the lemon grass, brown sugar, fish sauce, half of the canola oil, the sesame oil and garlic paste together in a large bowl.   Wipe the chicken thighs and remove any visible fat.   Place them into the bowl with the lemon grass mixture, turning them to coat on all sides.   Allow to marinate for about 20 minutes.
Heat the remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.   Add the chicken breasts and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, turning once, cooking until the juices run clear.  Cut into slices diagonally.

While the chicken is cooking whisk together the vinegar and sugar.  Toss in the cucumber and carrot sticks.   Set aside.
Heat the tortillas according to the package directions.  Add the coriander paste to the chicken and toss to distribute it evenly.   Divide the chicken mixture evenly amongst the heated tortillas, topping with the cucumber salad and some chopped peanuts.  Serve immediately.

1 comment

  1. Welcome back..
    These look very good..
    You must be tired..jet lag and all..You lovely daughter you!!
    Bet T and M were both over the moon to have you back..Marie..it was over 90F here yesterday..
    Imagine..May.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!