Classic Shortbread Biscuits and Dr Oetker

Monday 10 March 2014

  photo SAM_3113_zps91fd6bde.jpg

It's Mother's Day (Or Mothering Sunday as it is called here in the UK) in just a few short weeks now.   Here in the UK it is celebrated on the fourth Sunday after Lent and so this year it is on the 30th of March.

I was recently sent a package of baking goodies from the people at Dr Oetker to help me do something special for this holiday.   I love to bake and I admit, I love Dr Oetker baking goodies!

 photo DrOetker_zpsc76420ce.jpg

They have a beautiful line of ingredients to help the modern baker make the prettiest and tastiest biscuits, cakes and other baked goodies, including everything from the basic ingredients such as Baking Powder and Baking Soda . . .  to candles,  flavourings, icing gels, chocolate chips, cake sprinkles and sparkles, rice paper decorations . . . in short just about everything under the sun.   And I have to confess that anything I have ever used of theirs has been exceptional.   I haven't had anything yet that I didn't like or use, or that didn't live up to or exceed my expectations.

 photo SAM_3105_zps0788d0e2.jpg

I quite simply have not had the time to use all the things that they sent me this time, but I did make good use of some of the decorations, such as these tasty milk and white chocolate hearts.  I used them to decorate little bite sized classic Shortbread biscuits which I had iced with a vanilla buttercream icing.

  photo SAM_3104_zps378a86b6.jpg

The chocolate hearts come in their own little plastic mold, which I thought was really great as it helped to keep them from breaking.  They taste good too, and don't they look sweet decorating these biscuits?

 photo SAM_3099_zps66cc98df.jpg

These edible rice wafer daisies are such pretty little posies and looked beautiful on some of the biscuits.

  photo SAM_3103_zpsa5ff4849.jpg

As did these edible wafer butterflies.   They look like they are ready to take flight don't they?   They just pop right out and onto whatever you are wanting to put them on with ease.

 photo SAM_3097_zps8f4ba3ce.jpg

And of course these little candy butterflies are just so sweet and colourful, and dainty too.
Altogether they made for a very pretty tray of cookies I think.

 photo SAM_3112_zpsfe5a7172.jpg

*Classic Shortbread Biscuits*
Makes 12 to 18
It doesn't have to be a special occasion to make these simple biscuits, but they have a way of making any day a special occasion when these are on the plate! Simple, simple .  .  . yes they are, but you can dress them up too, with a bit of icing and some sprinkles if you so desire, or cut them into different shapes.

225g of unsalted butter, softened (1 cup)
127g of caster sugar (2/3 cup)
1/4 tsp salt
350g of plain flour (2 1/2 cups)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.   Stack two baking sheets together and line the top one with baking paper.   Set aside.

Put the butter, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl and cream together with an electric whisk until fluffy.  Stir in the flour to make a stiff dough.  Tip out onto a lightly floured surfae and knead lightly to make a smooth dough.  Wrap and chill for 15 minutes.

Roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin.   Cut into rounds with a 2 inch cookie cutter.   Prick gently with a fork.  Place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.  Place into the oven and immediately lower the temperature to 160*C/325*F/ gas mark3.


Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly coloured at the edges and on the bottom.  Check to make sure they aren't browning too quickly.  If they are lower the oven temperature a bit more.  Carefully scoop off to cool completely on a wire rack before decorating or not as you wish.


 photo SAM_3102_zps597e4dca.jpg

All of the Dr Oetker baking helps are sold in most grocery shops here in the UK, in the baking sections and you can also find them at Hobby Craft.   They are also available in their online shop.  

Their webpage and shop:   Dr.Oetker

Thanks very much to Dr Oetker for sending me these goodies!


9 comments

  1. In love with those wafer daisies..Love their products..have not seen those eher..
    What a fun gift package!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are pretty adorable I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really beautiful - and perfect for a garden party. I've not ever seen these sold here, even though we have other Dr Oetker products. I must investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Marie they are lovely!!!! I love the daisies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Laurie, I do get sent the nicest things! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

  6. They look so yummy...can we have some our next Tea Party?oooxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How pretty!! And not just the decorations, your cookies look perfectly scrumptious too. You have the prettiest buttercream, mine never turns out like that! Frosting is one of my weaknesses. You'd think it would be simple!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!