Frank and Potato Bake

Tuesday 8 March 2016

 photo DSCN5660_zpsomelv3op.jpg

This delicious recipe today comes from a cookery book that I have had in my library since 1971.  Yes, I was only 16 years old when I got the book.   I have always been a collecter and I have to say that I love the progress we have made in cookery, but there are still a lot of little gems in those older books and this is one of them.  The book is called Good Food on a Budget and it is from the BHG cooking library collection of books I collected way back when.

  photo DSCN5657_zpszvkw8rsd.jpg

The original recipe called for processed cheese.  That's not something we really do or can find over here in the UK.  We do real cheese and so I have adapted the recipe somewhat to what I have and what I like to use.

. photo DSCN5656_zpsfh6jjexs.jpg

It's a pretty simple dish, but don't let simple fool you into thinking that it's not delicious, because it is certainly very delicious and yes, economical and yes  . . .  simple to make.

 photo DSCN5655_zps55ctlj7l.jpg

Cooked potatoes and sliced frankfurters are gently folded into a cheese sauce which has been flavoured with onion and then poured into a casserole, covered and baked . . .

  photo DSCN5654_zps6wns6oph.jpg

Once the flavours have nicely melded you uncover the dish and let it brown a bit.  Oh boy . . .  this is some good.  I used low fat cheese and milk, and it turned out beautifully.  I know hot dogs are not that good for you, but once in a while they are a treat.  I used the all beef dinner ones from Costco, and it only took three.  Two and a half were sliced into the dish and the other half was cut up and put on top.  Deeeee-licious!

 photo DSCN5661_zpsmfebpkqn.jpg

*Frank and Potato Bake*
Serves 4

This is a cheap and cheerful, filled with flavour meal! 


1/2 pound of Frankfurters
(I used Cosco, all beef dinner franks)
1 TBS butter
1 TBS flour
1 small onion, peeled and minced
250ml milk (1 cup)
120g of grated cheese (I cup)
(I used a mix of white and orange low fat cheddar)
salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 tsp parsley flakes
dash of hot pepper sauce
4 medium potatoes, cooked, peeled and sliced 


 photo DSCN5662_zps1jzkrbxq.jpg 

Reserve a couple of the frankfurters and set aside.  Slice the remainder into coins. 


 photo DSCN5663_zpscgpfhwro.jpg

Melt the butter in a saucepan.   Add the onion and cook, stirring, until the onion softened.   Whisk in the flour and cook for one minute.  Slowly whisk in the cheese, whisking constantly and cooking until the mixture bubbles and begins to thicken.   Stir in the cheese, seasoning and hot pepper sauce.   


 photo DSCN5664_zpskugunues.jpg

Peel and slice the potatoes.  Fold the cheese mixture into the potatoes along with the sliced frankfurters.  Pour into a buttered 1 quart casserole dish.  Cover and bake at 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4, for 40 minutes.   Take the reserved franks and cut into lengths diagonally.  Uncover the casserole and place the franks in a spoke pattern on top.  Bake for an additional 10 minutes, uncovered.


 photo DSCN5670_zps0iakvkgu.jpg

Bon appetit!

4 comments

  1. Replies
    1. If you like hotdogs or smoked sausage, it's a winner winner! xo

      Delete
  2. This recipe sounds really yummy-or scrummy- as Marie likes to say!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!