Asian Slaw with a Spicy Peanut Dressing

Monday 23 May 2016

 photo DSCN7018_zpsampsbsk5.jpg

I love LOVE these types of salads.    There is just so much going on here.  They are interesting and they are delicious, with plenty of crunch and a really fabulous dressing!  Mmm! Mmm!

  photo DSCN7019_zpseg3qsiwn.jpg

I think Peanut Butter has to be one of my favourite ingredients to use, next to lemon and chocolate and jam and  . . .  well, just food I guess.  Food is my favourite ingredient, but I do love peanut butter in any way shape or form.

 photo DSCN7020_zpsn1vyxhp9.jpg

The longest part of making this salad is the slicing of all the vegetables, but it is really worth the effort.  You won't want to grate the cabbage for this.  You want much more texture than that.  Long thin slices made from slicing it very thinly with a really sharp knife is the way to go . . .

  photo DSCN7021_zps03nkzkda.jpg

Same thing with the peppers.   Cut them thinly . . .  by hand.  If you have a nice sharp knife its really not that hard to do.

 photo DSCN7022_zpsuua5dozl.jpg

I confess . . .  I do grate the carrot, but I use the largest holes on my box grater.  Again . . .  texture.  Its the key to a tasty salad.

 photo DSCN7026_zpsdh5klcnv.jpg

The Spicy Peanut Dressing is TO DIE FOR!  Seriously.  Creamy, spicy, garlicky, gingery, salty . . .  with no sugar in sight.  TO DIE FOR.  Add a grilled chicken breast like I did and you have a lovely light meal.  (I simply rubbed the chicken breast with some five spice powder, a bit of oil and garlic and grilled it.  Scrummo!)   Save some of the dressing to drizzle over the chicken.  You won't be sorry!

 photo DSCN7023_zpsltcptjw2.jpg


*Asian Slaw with a Spicy Peanut Dressing*
Serves 8

This delicious slaw goes great with grilled foods.  It's perfect for BBQ's.  Crunchy and colourful with a slightly spiced peanut dressing that is to die for! 

For the Dressing:
60g of natural peanut butter (1/3 cup)
80ml of peanut oil (1/3 cup)
80ml of seasoned rice wine vinegar (1/3 cup)
3 TBS soy sauce
2 TBS finely grated peeled fresh ginger
4 finely minced cloves of garllic (or to taste)
salt and pepper to taste 

For the Salad:
1/2 head white cabbage, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
1/4 head of red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
2 red peppers, trimmed and thinly sliced
2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
6 spring onions, thinly sliced
a haldful of fresh coriander, chopped (about 1/2 cup
80g of chopped roasted peanuts (1/2 cup) 


 photo DSCN7027_zpsghahgpoi.jpg

Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together in a jar, giving them all a good shake together.  Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Set aside.


Combine all of the vegetables in a large bowl.  Add the dressing and toss together to coat.  Taste and adjust seasoning as required.   Cover and chill until needed.  Pour the salad into a large shallow bowl to serve.  Garnish with the chopped peanuts.

 photo DSCN7028_zpslq0majb3.jpg

This really truly is delicious and if you can grill a chicken breast to have with it, DO.  It's seriously scrumptious!  Bon Appetit!

PS - I added a baked potato for Todd.  He was happy with that.  This would even be good, just spooned on top of a baked potato.  ☺

4 comments

  1. Looks perfect..and I bet even on noodles the dressing is delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a very similar recipe this weekend. Here in the States, we have prepackaged coleslaw mixes in the produce department, one that uses broccoli instead of cabbage, which is what I use. Makes for a quick meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are not available over here Jane, I bet they really do make for a quick meal! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!