Pan Fried Potatoes

Thursday 5 May 2016

 photo DSCN6696_zps9bx86npg.jpg

These were always a real favourite when I was growing up.   When my mother made these we were all very happy!  Of course she could never make enough of them!  She used to only make them if she had cold leftover boiled potatoes.  Nowadays I boil potatoes purposely just so that I can make these!

 photo DSCN6692_zpsliyoqzm1.jpg

The key to really crisp potatoes it so slice them quite thin, and of course have the fat quite hot.   My mom never added any onions to hers . . .  just potatoes and butter.  I like the extra flavours of the fried onions, and of course the way these smell when they are cooking is just heavenly

  photo DSCN6695_zpsicfuknsh.jpg

Nothing could be any simpler really.  You just slice the potatoes and onions, and bang them into a hot pan of butter and oil . . . with some seasoning of course.  I add sweet paprika because it helps to give them colour.  You can leave it out if you don't have any, no problem.

 photo DSCN6697_zpsrqheje1f.jpg

I leave the skins on, but you can peel them if you wish.  I happen to really love potato skins, and I like the extra crispy bits they create in the pan.

 photo DSCN6698_zpsl8vypuwf.jpg

They key to success is to find a good balance between flipping and stirring and leaving them alone long enough without moving them so that you get some nice browning going on, without them burning.  Although speaking for myself, a few burnt bits are actually rather tasty.

  photo DSCN6699_zpsr7mq7bmg.jpg

In any case these are quite, quite enjoyable and go very well with most things.  I like mine with ketchup on the side.  Its the North American in me I guess. Todd, he prefers them all on their own with no embellishments at all. He's so British.

 photo DSCN6701_zpsjdn0akrv.jpg


*Pan Fried Potatoes*
Serves 4
These are fabulously delish.   Leftovers turned into something quite tasty.   We love them.


2 pounds of new potatoes, boiled until fork tender and then left to cool
in the refrigerator overnight
1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 TBS butter
1 TBS olive oil
salt and black pepper to taste
sweet paprika 


 photo DSCN6702_zpson8jksyz.jpg

Slice your potatoes about 1/3 inch thick.  You can leave the skins on or not as you wish. I don't mind the skins because they make extra crispy bits.   Heat the oil and the butter in a large skillet until the butter begins to foam.  Add the onions and potatoes.  Season with salt, pepper and a good dusting of paprika.  Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat, until the potatoes begin to crisp and brown and the onions are golden.  Try not to turn them too frequently as they will not have a chance to brown if you do.  Serve hot.

 photo DSCN6691_zps9qb7kk3s.jpg

The knife I used for this is a Eddington's Fruity Paring Knife.  They come in three varieties . . .  red tomato, green apple and yellow lemons.  Each has a very sharp stainless steel blade, which is printed in the applicable colour and comes with a stay sharp blade cover, which means they won't get dull in your drawer, and you also don't run the risk of cutting yourself when you reach in the drawer to get one out.

 photo DSCN6693_zpsgytfl5kp.jpg

I really like them and they are actually very affordable.   They are quite lightweight and feel good in the hand.   You can purchase them here on Sophie's Crafts for only £3.99 each.   I quite, quite love mine!  They are excellent little paring knives and do a great job!!

 photo DSCN6703_zpsvqrkl0ke.jpg

Bon Appetit!

5 comments

  1. Perfectly crisped potatoes of my youth and now..Jacques loves them too..I like knives w/ cute patterns..makes cooking "funner":)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great little knives Monique! I really like them! The potatoes are mighty tasty also, although I can't eat as many of them as I would like to these days. A taste is all I get, but I do enjoy it! xo

      Delete
  2. Although I grew up on a farm in Kansas, my mom also made fried potatoes and they are still a favorite of mine...and she didn't do them with onions because my dad didn't like onions, but I like mine exactly like you make them!! Thanks for a fun-to-read blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Onions make them Cheryl! You're welcome! xo

      Delete
  3. this is for dinner tonight thanks Marie can always count on you <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!