Cheese & Onion Baked Bean Dogs

Wednesday 10 August 2016

 photo DSCN8338_zpspckajrfw.jpg

 As soon as I saw this recipe over on my friend Pam's blog (On The Bright Side) I knew I wanted to try it.    We like baked beans and we like hot dogs.  I like simple.  This recipe ticked all the boxes!

 photo DSCN8340_zpsu27bckqu.jpg

Gourmet food its not.  Family and budget friendly it is.

 photo DSCN8345_zps45erlsw7.jpg

Hot dog buns are filled with mustard and topped with hotdogs, then baked beans, grated cheese and chopped onions.

  photo DSCN8346_zpssydswnr5.jpg

They were really good!  If I had to change one thing I would fry the onions a bit first.  They do steam and semi cook, but I wasn't overly fond of the smell.   So, fry the onions first, or use crispy salad onions (French's fried onions in America).

 photo DSCN8347_zps1yr8rke8.jpg

This was simple and delicious, and in a pinch you could even cook it over an outdoor grill on low!  Thanks Pam for a tasty recipe I know I will make again, perhaps with a few adaptations, but this is a great basic recipe!

 photo DSCN8343_zpsc3wi4j9s.jpg


*Baked Bean and Cheese Baked Hot Dogs*
Makes 16

From my friend Pam who writes at On The Bright Side. 


1 can , 28 ounces, Baked Beans (2 400g-tins)

16 hot dog buns, split 

16 hot dogs 

1/4 cup yellow mustard (60ml)

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces) (I used sharp)

1 cup white onions chopped  (2 medium onions, peeled and chopped)


 photo DSCN8344_zpsxvpx3oo5.jpg



Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two 9x14" baking pans with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.  


Spread a thin layer of mustard inside of each hot dog bun. Add a hot dog to each bun and top with about 3 tablespoons of baked beans. 



Arrange hot dogs in baking pans.Top dogs with an even layer of cheese and onions. Cover each pan with foil and place in the oven.  

 photo DSCN8342_zpsl7xev5f1.jpg 



 Bake hot dogs for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and hot dogs are heated through. Allow hot dogs to stand for 5 minutes to cool slightly before serving.  



To serve, carefully remove hot dogs from pan using a spatula. Serve with plenty of napkins. 

 photo DSCN8337_zps5nn7ifya.jpg 

The mustard I used in this was Heinz Yellow Mustard, the Honey variety.  It is American style mustard and much milder than English Mustard.  (I remember when I first moved over here I made Todd a ham sandwich to take in his lunch one day.  I spread it with English mustard and about blew his head off!  Lesson learned.  I admit, I am not a fan of English mustard.  It is far too hot for my liking!)  Heinz Yellow Mustard has been especially created to offer a flavour th whole family can enjoy.  It is deliciously smooth and creamy and although tangy, quite mild with a flavour that is perfect for brightening up even the simplest meals.

Inspired by the authentic taste of mustards served in New York delis, Heinz Yellow Mustard is the ultimate all-purpose ingredient to transform al fresco feasts from good to great and it won't blow your head off!  Its available in two flavours, Mild and Honey . . .  and in a family-friendly squeezable bottle to make it even easier to  slather on sausages and sandwiches, and yes  . . .  hot dogs!

Whatever the weather this summer, why use it alongside your well-loved Heinz Tomato Ketchup to make your dogs and burgers twice as tasty, or use it to bring some life to salad dressings, barbeque sauces and marinades with a mild and zingy kick!

Heinz Yellow Mustard is available in Sainsbury's, Morrison's Waitrose and Ocado, with RRPs from £1.69.  (Pricing is  at the discretion of the retailer.)

 photo DSCN8339_zpscsqvcbqd.jpg 

Economical, simple to make and family friendly!  Bon appetit!  Thanks Pam!

4 comments

  1. Oh my this looks fantastic and makes a change from the 'normal' hotdogs. My first thought was fried onions also. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The onions were tasty Vicky but fried onions would kick this up another notch into fantabulous! xo

      Delete
  2. A friend of mine calls it baseball mustard..I think certain dishes need it..like a smoked meat on rye..
    Don't you love being inspired by the lovely people and blogs we follow?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do Monique! It's a wonderful community! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!