Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Sunday 30 July 2017


This is a chocolate chip cookie recipe I adapted from a soft back cookbook/magazine I bought several years back called Delicious Baking, put out by Delicious magazine.  I love Delicious magazine.  It is one of my favourites.  I used to have a subscription to it, but when I lost my job a few years back I had to cut back and magazine subscriptions was one of the first things to go.  *sniff *sniff*

So what makes this chocolate chunk cookie different than other chocolate chunk cookies?  How does it shine? 


There is nothing unsual about chocolate chunks, or even about using two types of chocolate  . . .  the difference is that you use DARK chocolate in these, which counterbalances the sweetness of the white chocolate perfectly . . .


I think you will agree with me that white chocolate can sometimes be somewhat cloying, which is why you often find it paired with things which are not so sweet such as rasperries and cranberries. 


Another difference is that it uses DARK soft brown sugar, which gives these cookies a light whiff of molasses smokiness . . .  oh so good.



Crispy edged . . .  with sweet vanilla chunks and bitter dark chocolate . . .  with a slight chewiness in the middle.  I think you will agree with me when I say that those things all tip these cookies over the edge towards spectacular!



*Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies*
Makes about 16 - 17
Crisp, buttery and loaded with not one but two chocolates.  Dark and white.  Make sure you use a good quality of both! 

125g butter, softened (1/2 cup +1 TBS)
250g soft dark brown sugar (1 cup +2 TBS)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 medium free range egg
225g plain flour (1 1/2 cups + 1 TBS)
1/2 tsp baking powder
100g good quality dark chocolate, coarsley chopped (3 1/2 ounces)
100g good quality white chocolate, coarsely chopped (3 1/2 ounces) 

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Line several baking sheets with baking paper.  Set aside. 

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the vanilla and egg.  Sift together the flour and baking powder.  Stir into the creamed mixture until well combined.  Stir in both chocolates.  Drop by heaped TBS onto the baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each. 

Bake for 15 - 18 minutes until golden brown.  Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes on the pan prior to scooping off onto a wire rack to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container.




Now you might not think the fact that this recipe only makes about sixteen large cookies is a bonus . . .  but to me, who has absolutely no self control at all, this is a big plus.  There is a lot less cookie danger for me to be tempted by!! Bon Appetit!


4 comments

  1. Just made them. I only had white chocolate in the cupboard, but together with dried cranberries I had they turned out well!

    Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yummy. That would be a great combination for sure! Glad you enjoyed Julie! xo

      Delete
  2. Great site, came across it from a friend who follows you on Facebook. I'm British born, and have lived both sides of the ocean. Most of the cookery books I use are British.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Linda and welcome! I love the UK! From day one have felt as if I have come home! I love everything here, the television, the customs and the food! Xoxo. ( although admittedly I do tend to put a
      North American spin on it most times, but I can't help it! Lol)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!