Mabel's Strawberry Pie

Sunday 9 July 2017

Mabel's Strawberry Pie





When I was a much younger woman, I had a next door neighbor that I loved dearly named Mabel.  Our houses were attached in a row of military PMQ's or military married quarters.  


We had children around the same age, and we shared a lot in common, both being women of great faith, loving working with our hands and a great love of food and fine cooking!

 

Mabel's Strawberry Pie




We used to sit on the front steps every night after supper drinking a cup of coffee together and catching up on our day just spent.  They were busy days with young families. Good times!





I have many, many lovely memories of times spent together playing cribbage (with husbands as our partners), once a month dinner parties, ball room dance lessons, women's guild activities, etc.  

We remain good friends to this day and I always make a special effort to see her when I am home to Canada visiting, even if it is only getting together for a beverage and a good natter.








Mabel was an excellent cook (still is!) and shared many recipes with me during the years.  This is her recipe for a delicious Strawberry Pie.



Mabel's Strawberry Pie




It's delicious to the taste and very simple. I have always loved it, so did my family and now Todd does too.  


It just wouldn't be summer without making this at least once during strawberry season.


Mabel's Strawberry Pie





The filling is made in the microwave. Its very easy.  You just mix together sugar and cornflour (cornstarch) and some water, along with a portion of fresh berries and cook in the microwave until thick.  I like to whisk it every couple of minutes.


 

Mabel's Strawberry Pie




You let the resulting thick strawberry pudding type of mixture cool for a while until just lukewarm, and then fold in another portion of fresh berries.  


So you have a kind of jelled mixture filled with fresh berries.  This gets spooned into a crisp baked pie shell and the chilled overnight, or at least for several hours.



Mabel's Strawberry Pie




Ready to be cut into wedges and served with a hefty dollop of whipped cream, or in my case here today, clotted cream.  Totally scrumptious.

 

Mabel's Strawberry Pie


*Mabel's Strawberry Pie*
Makes one 9-inch pie
It would not be summer without making this delicious pie recipe from my good friend Mabel at least once or twice. This has been a "must make" in my family for about 30 years give or take. 

1 quart fresh strawberries (800g) be generous
3/4 cup white sugar (150g)
4 TBS cornstarch (cornflour)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup hot water (120ml)
You will also need:
1 9-inch baked pie shell
whipped cream for serving


Mabel's Strawberry Pie



Wash, drain and hull the berries.  Cut in half.  Whisk the sugar, cornstarch and salt together in a bowl.  Whisk in the hot water slowly, whisking until smooth.  Add half the berries.  


Microwave on high for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring every two minutes, until thick and cooked.  Remove and allow to cool completely.  Fold in the remaining berries and spoon ito a baked pie shell.  Smooth over and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least several hours.  Spoon whipped cream over top to serve.


Mabel's Strawberry Pie




 I think that recipes which have stories and great memories attached are the best kinds of recipes of all, don't you?  I never sit down and enjoy a piece of this pie without thinking of my dear friend and remembering special times spent in each other's company!





It is truly a deliciously fabulous recipe, but I will let the plate speak for itself.  Make this as soon as you can. You will not regret and I predict it will soon become a favourite of your family as well.  Thanks Mabel!  Bon Appetit! 






Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!