Two Potato Salad

Tuesday 4 July 2017


I am a HUGE fan of potato salad, especially this time of year!  Its so perfect for the summer and for all those get-togethers we plan during these warmer months.  It makes the perfect carry along and picnic dish.  I confess . . .  I have even been known to eat it for breakfast!


I am also always looking for something different to do as far as salads go.  I have a motto, and it is this . . .  "There is no such thing as a boring salad!" 


 This salad is so far from boring that it is sure to become a family favourite, with two types of potatoes . . .  white and sweet . . .  and the surprise ingredient . . .  a tiny bit of butternut squash!


Add to that a punchy cider vinegar dressing with onion and zesty dry mustard along with the flavour and crunch of celery seed.  (I love celery seeds!)

Butternut Squash isn't the only surprise however  . . .  there are also dried cranberries and chopped toasted walnuts . . .  the cranberries adding a jewel-like touch and the nuts a lovely crunch!


With plenty of chopped parsley, this is a fabulous salad that will have everyone scrambling for seconds. Perfect with your grilled chicken and pork dishes, as well as salmon, this is sure to become everyone's favourite.  I guarantee you will be asked to bring it along to your next cookout!


*Two Potato Salad*
Serves 6 to 8
An unusual potato salad that is totally delicious.  Colourful too! 

You will need:
1/2 pound small sweet potatoes
1 1/2 pounds red skinned potatoes
1/2 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes 

For the dressing:
50g caster sugar (1/2 cup superfine sugar)
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBS grated onion
80ml cider vinegar (1/3 cup)
220ml rapeseed oil (1 cup canola oil)
1 TBS celery seed 

You will also need:
a handful of chopped fresh parsley (about 1/4 cup)
a handful of dried cranberries (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 small red onion, peeled and chopped
a handful of chopped toasted walnuts (about 1/4 cup)



Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Scrub the sweet potatoes really well with a brush, dry and prick with a fork.  Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, until just tender when pierced with a fork.  Alternately you can bake in the microwave on high for 6 to 8 minutes, taking care not to overcook them.  Allow to cool completely.  Peel and dice. 

Boil the regular potatoes in a pot of boiling water to cover for about 20 to 25 minutes, until just tender.  Drain well and set aside to cool.  Peel and dice.

Cook the butternut squash cubes in a pot of boiling water until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes.  Drain well and allow to cool.


To make the dressing whisk the sugar, mustard powder, salt and grated onion together with 1/2 of the vinegar to dissolve the sugar.  Add the remaining vinegar, oil and celery seed.  Shake together well to combine. 

Gently mix both potatoes and the butternut squash in a large bowl wth the parsley. Fold in the dried cranberries, onion and chopped walnuts. Cover and chill.  Serve at room temperature.


I am koo koo for dried cranberries and nuts in anything, but I have to tell you they are quite simply beautiful in this delicious potato salad.  Somewhat reminiscent of a harvest type of salad that you might want to eat closer to the holidays, but don't wait til then.  Make and eat this now!   Heck, make and eat this all year round!  Bon Appetit!

 Happy Fourth of July to all my American readers and friends!

10 comments

  1. Is that 1/2 cup or 1 cup oil?Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is 1 cup. Sorry about the / which must have caused some confusion! xo

      Delete
  2. I bet the dressing is fab on just reg potato salad too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it would be Monique! It's a delicious salad!

      Delete
  3. Do you only use part of this dressing on the mixture? A whole cup of oil & vinegar and the rest of the ingredients would saturate the dish....no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use as much of the dressing as you require Susan. Some potatoes take in more than others. There is 2 1\2 pounds of vegetables in this recipe serving 6 to. 8 people. I used the whole lot on mine. And it was not saturated. It is very delicious.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Marie. I've never made a recipe of yours that my family didn't like.

      Delete
    3. I think you will love this too Susan, and thanks!

      Delete
  4. This is absolutely scrumptious. I was interested as it was an unusual combination and that dressing sounded too good to miss. It was a perfect mix of different textures and flavours - the cranberries and walnuts are a genius addition.

    I agree with Susan P above in that I've never made a recipe of yours that my family didn't love and it's one reason I keep coming back. Your recipes are reliable, the instructions clear and they are always a little outside of the ordinary, even though they use quite common ingredients. You have a gift for combining them in a new and exciting way.

    This is very colourful and tasty and I'll be making it often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I am so pleased that you made and enjoyed this lovely salad. I have not made it in a long time myself. Time to rectify that I think! Perhaps at the next family get together. Thanks also for your lovely comment re my recipes. You have REALLY made my day! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!