Scrambled Eggs in Toasty Cups

Wednesday 20 September 2017


Scrambled Eggs on Toast are a very popular and quick supper dish served over here in the UK.  I had probably been living under a rock, but . . . . in all honesty, it wasn't something I had ever heard of, or even considered, prior to moving over here!  I'd eaten plenty of toast with scrambled eggs, but had never had my scrambled eggs served on TOP of the toast.


 When I was working at the Manor, quite often Todd would make me scrambled egg on toast when I got home from work.  I would be too tired to want to cook for myself, but totally starving. (No I did not eat at work.  They did not feed their employees. That was one of their rules.  Rich people eh . . .  go figure.) Scrambled eggs on toast never tasted so good as when Todd made them for me.  He's a great Scrambled eggs on toast maker, but I reckon he got plenty of practice at it when he was a bachelor!


This recipe today takes Scrambled Eggs on Toast to a whole new level . . .  because they are not just ON the toast, but IN the toast! 


Well, not in the actual toast per se . . .  but piled into buttery crisp toast cups, that are very easy to make.  You can be baking the toast cups while you make the eggs.


Making these cups is as easy as cutting the crusts off slices of bread, buttering it on both sides and then pressing the slices down into muffin cups. You then bake them until they are nice and crisped up.  Fresher bread works best as it is more maleable, and will press down into the cups with less risk of tearing or breaking.


The Eggs are delicious  .  .  . free range eggs beaten together with cream, strong cheddar, and chives are scrambled in a knob of butter . . .  softly scrambled.  Seasoned with some salt and pepper and another knob of butter folded in at the end, ensures that they are delicious and moreishly tasty.  Pile them into the warm and crisp toast cups, put a bit of salad or sliced tomato on the side, and breakfast, lunch, or even a light supper is served!



*Scrambled Eggs in Toasty Cups*
Serves 4

Eggs and toast, toast and eggs.  Delicious with an impressive presentation, plus also very simple to make. 


For the toast cups:
8 large medium thick slices of whole wheat bread
(Try to use as fresh as you can)
4 TBS softened butter

For the eggs:
6 extra large free range eggs
6 TBS single cream
60g strong cheddar cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
4 TBS snipped chives
2 large knobs of butter
Salt and pepper to taste

You will also need:
a few TBS chopped chives or flat leaf parsley to garnish



Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Trim the crusts off the bread and trim them to equal sized squares.  Press lightly and then butter them on both sides with the softened butter.  Press firmly into 8 medium muffin cups.  Bake in the preheated oven until crisp.  This will take between 15 and 20 minutes. Set aside and keep warm while you scramble the eggs.


Put a large non-stick skillet on medium heat to warm up. In the meantime beat together the eggs, cream, cheese and chives in a bowl. Drop a knob of butter into the heated skillet. Once it starts to foam tip in the egg mixture. Let it sit for about 30 seconds or so and then using a wooden spatula start to bring the egg from the edges into the centre, folding and turning slowly as the egg begins to cook. (You can’t rush scrambled eggs) Cook only until the egg is mostly set, but still moist and then remove from the heat and throw in the last knob of butter, folding it in. Taste and then season. Sometimes the cheese gives it enough flavour that you don’t need any seasoning at all!


Place two of the toast cups onto each of four heated plates and divide the scrambled eggs between them.  Garnish with the additonal chives or parsley.  Serve immediately.



These make a lovely presentation for a special breakfast at the weekend.  I can't think of anyone who wouldn't be pleased to be handed a tasty plate holding a couple of these! Egg haters maybe 😲 Bon Appetit!


6 comments

  1. This looks very good. I'm always looking for new breakfast twists. I like your instructions on scrambling eggs. I've been trying new breakfast things with eggs that I can freeze and nuke at the last minute, like egg muffins, but get tired of those and want something fresh now and then. Lovely picture of you. Stay safe over there....I think of you every time there's an attack. And our brothers & sisters have been hurt/killed in almost every one of them. Prayers for you and all who are in harm's way. Regards, Kathie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Kathie! We are far away from anything that's going on over here at the moment at any rate. It is getting a bit frightening though, especially with the Manchester one, which hit a little bit too close to home. All of this, plus the earthquakes, hurricanes, etc. are definitely a sign of the times! I hope you try the eggs! They're gorgeous! xo

      Delete
  2. Love this, Marie...very new to me! Yum!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! I hope you will give them a go and enjoy them! xo

      Delete
  3. I made this for a special brunch today. I really liked the presentation and it was so easy to do. I folded in some chopped smoked salmon in the scrambled eggs just to make it a bit more luxurious. The crisp bread cups were the perfect way to serve this and we really enjoyed it. I think we'll have this every time I feel like a breakfast treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Marie! I am so pleased they were enjoyed! I think it is time for me to make some for me! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!