Chicken & Stuffing Bake

Monday 5 February 2018


This recipe today is a brilliant one to use when you have some leftover cooked chicken (or turkey) that you are needing to use up.  It's quick and easy and quite tasty! 


The recipe is one which I adapted from this BHG cookery book that I bought way back in the early 1970's.  Yes, it is old, just like me!  But old doesn't necessarily mean its no good!


I started buying these books when I was still in High School.  There was a whole enclopedia of them.  I have talked about them before on here.  They contain a lot of recipes that I cut my culinary teeth on.


I have adapted this one somewhat.  I tend to use my own homemade stuffing mix (see recipe below).  Stuffing Mix is not the same over here as it is in North America.  They use rusk crumbs, not bread cubes, and the flavouring is quite different.  After making my own stuffing mix, I don't think I would ever buy a stuffing mix again.  Its really quite good and you know exactly what is in it. (Note - If you are living in the UK, do NOT use British Stuffing Mix. It will not work the same. Make your own from scratch. Its worth it.)



It also uses a tin of condensed soup.  Mushroom.  I am not a tinned soup snob. They do have their uses.  By all means use the lower fat one if you can find it.


The stuffing gets mixed with half of the tin of soup (undiluted) and some chicken stock, and a couple of beaten eggs.  I did cut down on the quantity of chicken stock.  The original recipe called for 2 cups, I thought 1 1/2 cups was sufficient. 


It also did not state what size eggs to use.  I used medium.  This mixture bakes into a savoury stuffing flavoured bread pudding.  It is topped with chopped cooked chicken prior to baking. That in turn, gets the remaining half tin of soup (which has been thinned with some milk  and mixed with chopped red peppers)  poured over top.


Covered and baked for abotu 45 minutes, I uncover it and bake it for a bit longer just until lightly golden.  This is actually delicious. Proof positive that these older recipes, with a tiny bit of adaption, are still solid and quite usable!


*Chicken & Stuffing Bake*
Makes 6 servings 

This was simple and easy to make and made good use of some leftover roast chicken.  Adapted from an old recipe from BH&G Favourite Ways with Chicken. 

225g packed herb seasoned stuffing (8 ounces)
(See my homemade recipe)
1 (295g) tin of evaporated Cream of Mushroom Soup (10 1/2 ounce tin)
360ml chicken broth (1 1/2 cups)
2 well beaten medium free range eggs
315g cooked chicken, chopped (2 1/2 cups)
120ml milk (1/2 cup)
2 TBS finely chopped red bell pepper 



Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter an 11 by 7 1/2 inch baking dish. (I used a 9 inch pie dish.) Set aside. 


Toss the dry stuffing crumbs together with 1/2 of the tin of soup, the chicken broth and both eggs.  Spread in the prepare baking dish.  Top with the cooked chicken.  Mix together the remaining half tin of soup with the milk and chopped red pepper.  Pour over all.  Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, until set. Uncover and bake for a few minutes longer until golden. Serve hot. 

*Herbed Stuffing Mix*
Makes about 12 cups
A handy version of a store bought favourite, which works out a lot cheaper and tastier in the long run.   It will keep stored in a large airtight container for up to 4 months.  If you want to store it longer, you can freeze it. 

30 slices of firm textured bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
150ml of oil (about 2/3 cup)
3 TBS instant minced onion
3 TBS dried parsley flakes
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp celery salt
3/4 tsp rubbed sage
1/2 tsp rubbed thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt 

Preheat the oven to 160*C/300*F/ gas mark 3.  Put the bread into two 13 by 9 inch pans and toast in the oven for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Whisk together the oil and the seasonings.  Remove the bread cubes from the oven and allow to cool slightly.  Stir in the oil, tossing to coat the bread cubes.  Store in an airtight container. 

To make stuffing:  combine 1 tsp instant chicken boullion stock powder, along with 6 ounces of boiling water.  Melt 6 TBS of butter in a skillet and saute one medium onion (peel and chop) with 4 stalks of celery (chopped) until softened.  Toss together with the chicken stock and 7 cups of the stuffing  mix.    Use to stuff a chicken or turkey prior to roasting, or bakd in a lightly buttered casserole for half an hour at 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  You can also use it to stuff pork chops.





I served it with tiny baked potatoes, roasted beetroot and steamed broccoli.  Todd gobbled his up.  I did cut the recipe in half as there are only two of us.  It was quick, easy to make and quite delicious. My trinity of good eating!  Bon Appetit! 



8 comments

  1. US stuffing mixes come in both bread cubes and bread crumbs, which are not rusks. Perhaps that's what they're made from in Canada, but not in America. The seasonings used in them are sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that Mary. I talk about that in the recipe narrative above. That's why I make my own from scratch. I am able to buy ready made North American Stuffing Mix from an American Supply Company (Stove Top) but I just make my own and keep it on hand in the freezer. Canadian and American Stuffing is the same. Thanks for your help however! xo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Its a bit like a stuffing flavoured bread pudding Monique! xo

      Delete
  3. This looks like really delicious comfort food -- perfect for a cold winter night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A recipe like this can come in really handy when you are looking for something to do with your leftover chicken Jeanie! Pot pies are great, but this is a bit different! xo

      Delete
  4. This is very much like something my Gran used to make before she died. The recipe went with her. Here's hoping this is really close. This was comfort food for us growing up in the 1940's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Doglover! All you can do is try it and see! Let me know!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!