Ginger Dunkers

Sunday 11 February 2018


The Toddster loves a good dunker.  What is a dunker you ask?  Its quite simply a biscuit that you want to dunk into your tea or your coffee. (In our case herbal tea. Today it was Taylors of Harrogate Apple Spice.) Its a biscuit that is crisp and buttery . . . and filled with flavour.  Flavour that is perhaps even enhanced by dunking it into a hot liquid!


He also loves a good ginger biscuit.  These delicious ginger biscuits tick all of his boxes on both scores!  They are crisp and dunkable and very flavourful!


They filled with warm ginger flavour . . .  both from the lavish use of ground ginger in the batter (along with mixed spice) and finely chopped preserved stem ginger.


For those of you not familiar with preserved stem ginger, it is round nuggets (about the size of a whole walnut) of young fresh gingerroot, which has been peeled, shaped into balls and then cooked and preserved in a sugar syrup.  You can buy bottles of it.  I am not sure where you will find it in a North American Grocery shop, but over here it is with the baking ingredients. 


This is what it looks like and it is a really delicious ingredient to have in your store cupboard.  It will keep in the refrigerator for ages.  You can also very easily make your own. I have a recipe here to do just that.


Whether you make your own or purchase it, you will never regret having a jar of it in the house. It comes in very handy for all sorts.


These biscuits are nice and crisp . . .  partially due to the inclusion of golden syrup, which is another truly British ingredient, but you may use golden corn syrup if you are unable to get it. I think it is available in the US however via Amazon and a few other shops.  Another ingredient which you won't regret having in your store cupboard!


In any case, these biscuits (a british term for cookies) are truly delicious.   The smell alone when they are baking is amazing, truly amazing.


Oh, it also uses mixed spice for which I have a simple recipe that enables you to make your own. (This is also a very British ingredient) or you can use apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice which are very similar.  It is a mix of warm baking spices, what will also come in very handy should you choose to make your own.


*Ginger Dunkers*
Makes about 2 dozen
 
Crisp, spicy and delicious.  Perfect for dunking. 

90g golden syrup (1/4 cup + 1 TBS)
65g salted butter (1/4 cup + 1/2 TBS)
90g soft dark brown sugar (7 TBS)
1 large nugget of stem ginger in syrup, chopped finely
1 1/2 TBS milk
200g plain flour (1 1/2 cups minus 2 TBS)
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 1/2 tsp mixed spice (can use apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice)



Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 6.  Line several large baking trays with baking paper.  Set aside. 


Place the syrup, butter, and brown sugar into a small saucepan and heat gently over low heat to melt the butter and sugar together with the syrup, stirring constantly.  Whisk in the milk and set aside.  Sift the flour into a bowl with the soda, ginger and mixed spice.  Stir in the wet ingredients until thorougly combined.  Stir in the stem ginger. 


Shape into walnut sized balls and place at least 2 inch apart on the baking sheets.  Using a damp fork, press down to 1/2 inch thickness. 


Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the heated oven, rotating the pans halfway through.  Scoop off onto wire rack to cool completely.
 

Store in an airtight container. 



Every time I bake them I ask myself why I don't bake them more often.  The answer is simple . . .  because they are sooooooo delicious, I find myself unable to leave them alone.  Yes, I am one very naughty puddy tat! Now lets put the kettle on! 


6 comments

  1. Garry is such a fan of ginger cookies and this sounds prefect, I had a friend who moved here from England when I was a child and her Mum made a cookie very much like what these sound like, I have searched forever to find a duplicate of those cookies for years,, the closest I have come is the Ginger nut recipe which has no nuts in it at all but was a crisp gingery cookie. Thank you Marie for giving the instructions in cup measure as well as weight,, it makes this so much easier,, lol,,thanks again, I have copied this down,, I'm making them today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Garry will simply love these cookies Laurie, especially if he likes Ginger! These are fabulous! Let me know what he thinks! xo

      Delete
  2. Are these like the Peak Freens(sp?) remember those..oval kind of? I have stem ginger because of you:)They look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I ever had the Peak Freen Ginger cookies Monique, but these are really good. Especially with a nice hot cuppa! xo

      Delete
  3. I am SO printing this out right now. They look WONDERFUL! Love ginger cookies most of all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty tasty Jeanie! Todd loved them! I hope you like them! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!