Meat Loaf Subs

Friday 9 February 2018


This is something I actually made last week and am just now getting around to showing you!  Meat Loaf Subs!  I will guarantee this is a sandwich your family will love! 

If you are a fan of meatloaf then you are sure to love these quick, easy and incredibly delicious open face sandwiches!


A simple meatloaf mixture is spread onto toasted submarine bun halves. They are then glazed with a traditional meatloaf glaze before being baked in the oven until golden brown and nicely glazed.
 
With a final smattering of cheese scattered over top to melt, these always go down a real treat!


The meatloaf mixture is really simple.  I use cornflake crumbs.  But you can use bread crumbs or oats, etc.
 
I blitz the milk, onion, egg and seasonings in my mini food processor until smooth, and then mix it into extra lean ground beef.


I don't like a lot of chunks in my meatloaf.  I never have.  I think it is a texture thing.  At any rate, it works well for this because you don't really want chunks in this.  
 
You could add a stick of celery or a piece of green pepper as well if you wanted to.  I usually do to my regular meat loaf.


If you really wanted to be decadent you could also add some sliced partially cooked streaky bacon to the top after you brush them with the glaze.  
 
I think one slice for each, cut in half crosswise, would work beautifully.


I like to serve them with oven chips and some coleslaw on the side.  You would almost think you were chowing down at your favourite dinner with food like this!  
 
All that's missing is the milkshake!  Easy enough to rectify!


*Meat Loaf Subs*
Serves 6 generously
 
Deliciously simple.  Your favourite meat loaf flavours spread onto a toasted bun and baked.  Serve with oven chips for a real family treat!

4 (6 inch) sub rolls, split in half lengthwise through the middle
30g cornflakes (1 1/4 cups)
1/2 small onion
120ml evaporated milk (1/2 cup)
6 TBS tomato ketchup, divided
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp seasoning salt with paprika and black pepper
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 large free range egg, beaten
1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
1 TBS brown sugar
1/2 tsp dried mustard powder
240g grated four cheese blend (2 cups)



Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7.  Cut your buns and place them cut side up onto a baking sheet.  Toast in the oven for about 5 minutes until golden brown. 


Blitz the cornflakes until they are crumbs in a small blender.  Pour into a bowl.  Put the onion, milk, 4 TBS of the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, seasoning salt, pepper, garlic powder and egg into the food processor and blitz until smooth.  Pour into the bowl with the cornflake crumbs and mix together.  Crumble in the beef and mix well together.  Divide the mixture between the buns, spreading it out with a fork to cover all of the surface, right to the edges to an even thickness.  

Mix together the remaining ketchup, brown sugar and dry mustard.  Brush some of this on top of the meat mixture on each roll.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until cooked through.  divide the cheese between the buns and return to the oven to melt.  Serve hot.



When I lived in Canada we probably went to eat at the local diner once every couple of weeks.  My ex would get the club sandwich and I would get the hot turkey sandwich.  Always a real treat, and always served with fries and coleslaw.  Good food at an affordable price. 
 
 There used to be a diner in the Grosvenor Arcade in Chester but they charged abuot £10 for a hotdog! (without the drink)  That is the equivalent of $14 American. For a hotdog.  I can get one of those at Costco for less than £2 and it comes with a drink.  In any case, why eat out when you can get tasty diner food at home!  Bon weekend! 



This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 


Follow my blog with Bloglovin


10 comments

  1. Mmmmmm, looks great! I've never tried corn flakes, just usually use bread crumbs but as luck would have it I've got all the ingredients on hand to make this. ;-) Looks wonderful, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could just use bread crumbs Jeannine! I like the cornflakes option however! Hope you enjoy it! xo

      Delete
  2. I was planning on making meat loaf tonight for dinner but this sounds far more exciting! thanks Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Gary are in for a real treat Laurie!xo

      Delete
  3. The cornflakes must add a cool kick! My boys would love this!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something for the next time they are over for the day perhaps? xo

      Delete
  4. It's not quite fair to post these delicious looking sandwiches just after I had a microwaved pot pie for lunch. :( (Kitchen renos for the next few weeks)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you to be having a kitchen Reno! And then you have these tasty sandwiches to look forward to at the end of it all Pat! Xo

      Delete
  5. I made these the other night using venison as that is what I usually have in the house and I must say they were amazing!! Putting away the leftovers I was already getting excited to eat them again the next day!! So good. I will save this recipe in my 'Tried and True' file!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased you enjoyed these so much Marilyn! Yay on the Venison! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!