Marbled Banana Bread

Saturday 3 March 2018


Todd was just getting ready to throw the latest lot of over-ripe bananas the other day into the bin when I rescued them. Don't throw them away, I said!  They are perfect for baking with!  
 
I had been eye balling a recipe for a Chocolate Marbled Banana Bread in a book I have which is entitled The Best of Cooking Light, published by Oxmoor House in 2004.



Its a recipe I had been eyeballing for a very long time, but had never gotten around to baking until this week. Chocolate and Banana are two flavours that go very well together. 
 
And at only 183 calories per slice, with less 5g of fat, it looked like a bread that someone who was watching the calories and fat could treat themselves to.  Its a bit too high in the sugar department for me to indulge in however. That doesn't stop Todd from enjoying it though!



It is a very simple make.   A cup of sugar gets creamed together with a small amount of butter. The original recipe suggested egg substitute, but I used regular large free range eggs.  
 
Egg substitute is not something which is readily available over here, although you can get cartons of only egg whites.


I mashed and weighed the banana for the convenience of my British Friends.  I had four smallish bananas and they worked out to the right amount of banana needed.  
 
You will also need some low fat plain yogurt.  This is something I always have in the house.


Also chocolate chips, which you melt and stir into a portion of the banana to provide the chocolate batter for the marbeling.  
 
I weighed the batter needed for that process as well.  You're welcome!!



I could have done a bit better on the marbeling I think. I didn't want to mix it in too much so I erred on the side of caution, but I could have been a bit  more aggressive.


It doesn't make a massive loaf either, which suits us well as there is only Todd and myself, and he will basically be the only one eating it, which works.  
 
I did have a taste however because I wanted to be able to give you my honest opinion of it!


*Chocolate Marbeled Banana Bread*
Serves 16

Moist and delicious, with a lovely thread of chocolate batter marbeled through it. 

280g of plain flour (2 cups)
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1/2 tsp salt
190g caster sugar (1 cup)
65g butter, softened (1/4 cup)
270g mashed ripe banana (1 1/2 cups)
2 large free range eggs
100g plain low fat yogurt (1/3 cup)
90g chocolate chips (1/2 cup)




Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F. gas mark 4.  Spray a nonstick loaf tin (8 1/2 by 4 1/2) well  with low fat cooking spray.  Set aside.

Whisk together the flour, soda and salt.  Set aside.




 Cream the butter and sugar together until well blended.  Beat in the eggs, banana and yogurt, until well blended.  Add the flour mixture, mixing it in only just until moist with no dry streaks.  Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave at 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. 

Remove 210g (1 cup) of the batter from the main bowl to a smaller bowl.  Stir in the melted chocolate chips to combine well.  Spoon the batters alternately into the prepared pan.  Swirl together lightly with a round bladed knife. 

Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, prior to removing to a wire rack to cool completely.  Wrap tightly to store. Cut into slices to serve.


It was not quite as moist as most banana breads, probably due to the lack of fat in the recipe.  I wonder if that might change by using some brown sugar for a portion of the white?  I will have to bake again, try that out,  and let you know how it goes! In the meantime, this was a very good banana loaf and quite tasty for something which is half healthy for you!  Bon Appetit! 
 
 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 






8 comments

  1. Heaven!! I make a chocolate marbled pound cake, but this sounds like a close rival. Thanks. Pinning now.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! I had wanted to make it for a long time. Todd is happy that I did! I hope you like it! xo

      Delete
  2. Maybe you should make a sign telling Todd not to throw away any bananas. Lol. Anything with chocolate in it..can't be bad.
    Another good movie Marie is The Longest Ride.xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I haven't seen that one yet Jan, but we did start watching Seven Seconds last night. (GOOD!) and we watched the Heaven film night before last! (SUPER good!) Todd enjoyed it too! xo

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! Todd enjoyed as did my next door neighbor! xo

      Delete
  4. Lovely, a healthier treat x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Charlene! I hope you will try it! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!